Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Chrome 51 Released As Stable

Phoronix: Google Chrome 51 Released As Stable

Google has officially released the Chrome 51 web-browser update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Not stable enough. In the best of Debian's traditions I use Chrome 29, and I learned all of its bugs by heart.

Comment

Originally posted by magika View Post
      Not stable enough. In the best of Debian's traditions I use Chrome 29, and I learned all of its bugs by heart.
      That sounds like a very insecure things to do.

Comment

Not stable enough.
        Then how are you making use of it? I've been on the Unstable channel for a long time now and I've yet to see truly major issues arise from being on Unstable. At worst, I've seen WebGL intermittently stop working. Other than that, nothing worth mentioning really.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
          It also uses 20 X more cpu time than Firefox so a horrible software that is. I have to keep it because Moviestar planet works with it (with pepper flash) and I have to support my kid that likes Opera (that is bad) most.
          Lucky you. Conversely, I have to keep Chrome just because (hardware rendering enabled in both browsers) it uses way less CPU for videos than laggy Firefox does. Still I only serf the Internet with Firefox, because Google Chrome doesn't have good enough addons like pentadactyl (there're similar ones, but they limited to not work on some Google site — at least Chrome webstore — and Chrome doesn't allow to rebind keys that're default for the browser, like Ctrl+n, Ctrl+p — prev/next tab in pentadactyl).

Also, Firefox sometimes hangs with hardware acceleration, and what's really sad — I can't report a bug for two reason: α) one have to reproduce the bug on clean profile, but I can't work ½ a day with browser without pentadactyl, I so used to it that it seems like a hell for me, β) the hardware acceleration is disabled by default, so I guess the devs would GFTO me for enabling it.

Comment

You could just use Windows 98 with IE6 and have access to more programs and features.

Comment

Originally posted by F1esDgSdUTYpm0iy View Post
              Then how are you making use of it? I've been on the Unstable channel for a long time now and I've yet to see truly major issues arise from being on Unstable. At worst, I've seen WebGL intermittently stop working. Other than that, nothing worth mentioning really.
              Not stable enough for me either. For a simple 10k element update chrome hangs completely while it's busy sucking up all your RAM. Firefox, Safari, Edge and even I.E. handles 50k updates without any issues, older versions of chrome (e.g. v40) does not have this issue.

I found this problem when a customer complained using my website with chrome V49. I used chrome's "report an Issue" and described the issue (It's a CSS problem), steps to reproduce and added my email address, but have not heard anything in months. I did not even receive an automated response with a reference to my issue.

I used to prefer chrome over firefox, because firefox was slow and the menu items was/is still a bit confusing. Now I love the fact that Firefox only loads and render tabs that you have clicked on, also that it makes tabs scrollable. Best of all is it does not use all of my 8GB RAM. I still want to believe in chrome, but with every release it feels more and more like old Internet Explorer. I am slowly getting really pissed of at extremely bad/non-existent support.

Comment

The only thing I use Chrome for is netflix. I was curious to see browser statistics as of late and was surprised that Chrome now commands the lead by a landslide, sitting at 70%, with Firefox sitting at a measly 17%. I guess that's what happens when you're a huge company that's constantly plugging your browser in the most widely used search engine, translation engine, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post
                  I guess that's what happens when you're a huge company that's constantly plugging your browser in the most widely used search engine, translation engine, etc.
                  Or maybe it's because FF simply lost its momentum? Honestly, the fact Mozilla is writing a new renderer (Servo) from scratch in a language they themselves created (Rust) that completely replaces their existing renderer is telling me even Mozilla has given up, to some extent, on seeing a truly long future for the technology employed in FF.

Why do I use Chrome and not FF? FF is just too damned slow. And it's been slow, in my experience, for years now. No matter what they do to it, it's not speeding up, in my experience. Although, and this is why I haven't completely given up on it just yet, they're slowly implementing some of Servo's tech into FF.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                    Reason is your os or/and graphic drivers. We have no problems with Debian testing Xfce and 3 X nvidia, 1 X amdgou-pro and 2 X intel drivers in 6 computers.
                    Probably. But as it is not the system hang, but of the single app — FWIW I'm playing sometimes Xonotic, and various old or indie games in Wine, and all of them are working just fine — more likely it is the browser that should be fixed.

Comment

Working...
                    X