Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomb Raider For Linux Updated, Makes Use Of More OGL4 Extensions

Phoronix: Tomb Raider For Linux Updated, Makes Use Of More OGL4 Extensions

Not only is Feral expected to launch today F1 2015 for Linux but they've also put out a hefty update to Tomb Raider...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What a great AAA game. But I played it years ago on Windows. Too bad.

Comment

Will there be any updated benchmarks?

Comment

Originally posted by tegs View Post
        Will there be any updated benchmarks?
        It doesn't really change benchmark scores, not worth it. It's mainly for the problem areas where it dips in-game. You don't seem them in the benchmark.

Comment

Originally posted by liamdawe View Post
          It doesn't really change benchmark scores, not worth it. It's mainly for the problem areas where it dips in-game. You don't seem them in the benchmark.
          In fact it changes scores. I've done a few benchmarks yesterday (right before the patch):
          Quality set to normal: min: 29 / max: 71 / avg: 56 fps

Now after the patch it is:
          Quality set to normal: min: 48 / max: 88 / avg: 73 fps

Windows benchmark:
          Quality set to normal: min: 85 / max: 120 / avg: 106 fps

Wine-staging 1.9.10 with gallium-nine patch:
          Quality set to normal: min: 36 / max: 76 / avg: 63 fps

All benchmarks were done in the res: 1920x1080

Informations from the glxinfo (gpu: amd HD 7850)
          OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD PITCAIRN (DRM 2.43.0, LLVM 3.9.0)
          OpenGL core profile version string: 4.2 (Core Profile) Mesa 11.3.0-devel (git-9690ab0)
          Also i have the amd 860k cpu so maybe that is the reason of increased overal score.
          Last edited by SmutnySmok; 26 May 2016, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SmutnySmok View Post

In fact it changes scores. I've done a few benchmarks some time ago:

both in the res: 1920x1080

OpenGL core profile version string: 4.2 (Core Profile) Mesa 11.3.0-devel (git-9690ab0)

Also i have the amd 860k cpu so maybe that is the reason of increased overal score.
            Thanks a lot for the feedback. That'll help me convince the people around me that Linux is a viable gaming platform (we give laptops that come installed with Linux to high schoolers where I live).

Comment

Originally posted by wdb974 View Post

Thanks a lot for the feedback. That'll help me convince the people around me that Linux is a viable gaming platform (we give laptops that come installed with Linux to high schoolers where I live).
              Well it might be a viable.
              I have an old gtx 570 and it performs a lot better than the amd gpu, Bioshock Infinite, Shadow of Mordor and Civ 5 everything runs great with GTX.
              On the other hand with amd your able to use wine with gallium-nine patch and that thing sometimes is quite amazing.
              Also i was amazed that a native linux Shadow of Mordor runs smoothly with the open radeon driver.
              Unfortunetly X3 Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude has only 5 fps no matter what and the same issue is with the Bioshock.

As to the laptops i have also one with gtx 960m. It performs quite well under the linux

Comment

Well it might be a viable.
                I have an old gtx 570 and it performs a lot better than the amd gpu, Bioshock Infinite, Shadow of Mordor and Civ 5 everything runs great with GTX.
                On the other hand with amd your able to use wine with gallium-nine patch and that thing sometimes is quite amazing.
                Also i was amazed that a native linux Shadow of Mordor runs smoothly with the open radeon driver.
                Unfortunetly X3 Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude has only 5 fps no matter what and the same issue is with the Bioshock.

As to the laptops i have also one with gtx 960m. It performs quite well under the linux
                Thanks again. I'll just say that my HD3000 powered laptop runs Civ V okay-ish. As for Tomb Raider... I just wanted to see whether or not I could launch the game. That is not my gaming rig, by the way (I got an HD7950 in my gaming PC).

Comment

In fact it changes scores. I've done a few benchmarks yesterday (right before the patch):

Windows benchmark:
                  Quality set to normal: min: 85 / max: 120 / avg: 106 fps

Wine-staging 1.9.10 with gallium-nine patch:
                  Quality set to normal: min: 36 / max: 76 / avg: 63 fps

All benchmarks were done in the res: 1920x1080

The fact it's now faster than gallium-nine is impressive to me. A lot of ports don't even manage that. I will have to look at this again as I never really sat down and played it.

Comment

Performance of the game is indeed quite nice. The only thing that annoys me are the stutters and freezes I get every time that Lara enters another area/region.

Comment

Working...
                    X