Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1 2015 Racing Game Is Now Available For Linux

Phoronix: F1 2015 Racing Game Is Now Available For Linux

Feral Interactive has made the Linux port of the F1 2015 Formula One racing game available now via the Steam Store and their own Feral Store...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I did a port report, benchmarks and a video here btw guys: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articl...-included.7281

Will be interesting to see Phoronix benchmarks since you have more cards

Just be aware the benchmark is not the same on each run.

Comment

For a non-gamer, what sets this game apart from others and is it worth the price?

Comment

Originally posted by Techwolf View Post
        For a non-gamer, what sets this game apart from others and is it worth the price?
        Well, there are almost no modern F1 racing games for PC. Even when driving actual cars, F1 is very different from most others. Much like NASCAR or rally, F1 isn't everybody's cup of tea. If you like that kind of racing, you might like this game. Codemasters is known for using more realistic physics than "arcadey" physics (like Need for Speed). People argue their physics engine isn't perfect, but if you don't have a USB wheel+pedals, that hardly matters anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Techwolf View Post
          For a non-gamer, what sets this game apart from others
          Other racing games I assume you mean? Or else that's an impossible question!
          This game can be classified as a "simulator" so more focus on the physics of the car, tyres, weather and so on, to make it more realistic. I don't think it's a game for the impatient, but there are modes to make it "easier". Other racing games are typically more "arcade" so not as realistic but can be more fun for casual gamers.

and is it worth the price?
          It all depends on what you are after, if you like simulation games, want to put in the time for "training", etc. Or just if you like F1 I guess?

I love watching and following F1, but I don't think I'll buy this game. I'm having a great time with Grid Autosport which is more arcade, and I mostly look forward to Dirt Rally. If F1 2015 gets some perfomance patches (and a price cut) I might get it someday, just because it's F1.

Comment

Looks pretty, at least. I've got too many unfinished racing games at the moment as-is, but I might be able to find a few $$ to support Feral's work.

Comment

@liamdave

The 80 fps limit seems to be a CPU limit, can you OC the CPU?

Comment

Nice. Since I'm in the market for a new GPU, I might pick up a copy and support Linux gaming. I need something better with which to test my new graphics cards than good 'ol Tux Racer and Trackballs.

That said, I do recommend Trackballs (the game). It runs well even on much older GPUs.

Comment

Working...
                X