Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 1.9.11 Has Direct3D 11 Improvements

Phoronix: Wine 1.9.11 Has Direct3D 11 Improvements

Out now is Wine 1.9.11 and its release has improvements in its Direct3D 11 support, but still it doesn't appear that Wine is ready yet for handling all the latest D3D11 AAA games...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Wine 1.9.11 Has Direct3D 11 Improvements

Out now is Wine 1.9.11 and its release has improvements in its Direct3D 11 support, but still it doesn't appear that Wine is ready yet for handling all the latest D3D11 AAA games...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag....9.11-Released
    AFAICT it's still not ready to handle DX9 and OpenGL games.

Comment

Originally posted by SaucyJack View Post

As I play Skyrim on High o.O
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Out of all the games I've tried or have extensively played using Wine, just one failed to launch completely (a mostly irrelevant and minor title, A Game of Dwarves, and only a few required winetricks in order to function as expected. Non-game 3D applications (demo scene) is a bit more edgy on wine but still, if it's a DX9 demo, it typically will run. A few exceptions aside.

So, I'd be curious to know which DX9 titles you've been trying to play via Wine that actually do not work at all, not even with winetricks.

Comment

Originally posted by F1esDgSdUTYpm0iy View Post
          Out of all the games I've tried or have extensively played using Wine, just one failed to launch completely (a mostly irrelevant and minor title, A Game of Dwarves, and only a few required winetricks in order to function as expected. Non-game 3D applications (demo scene) is a bit more edgy on wine but still, if it's a DX9 demo, it typically will run. A few exceptions aside.

So, I'd be curious to know which DX9 titles you've been trying to play via Wine that actually do not work at all, not even with winetricks.

he is just trolling, leave him be.

Comment

Originally posted by karolherbst View Post

he is just trolling, leave him be.
            Not at all, I haven't gotten a single game to run without crashing or having glitches rendering it unplayable. No amount of winetrickery has helped. Probably the most "successful" attempt was ESO which would crash within 5 seconds - 20 minutes.

Comment

Not at all, I haven't gotten a single game to run without crashing or having glitches rendering it unplayable. No amount of winetrickery has helped. Probably the most "successful" attempt was ESO which would crash within 5 seconds - 20 minutes.
              Ever considered the possibility that the games you were trying were themselves just... unstable? Give more examples please; ESO is not enough by itself. "Haven't gotten a single game to run" implies a plethora of games.

Diablo III -- Runs fine.
              Heroes of the Storm -- Runs fine.
              Hearthstone -- Runs fine, albeit it quite slow; then again, the engine could simply be at fault there because even natively (in Windows), Hearthstone should perform better than it actually does.
              Morrowind -- Runs fine.
              KOTOR1 and 2 -- Run as fine as can be expected from these 2; they were unstable in Windows and remain quite unstable in Wine but not additionally more so.
              Prison Architect -- Runs fine, although Wine is not required since a native build does exist.
              RimWorld -- Runs fine, although Wine is not required since a native build does exist.
              Stardew Valley -- Runs fine, winetricks required though.

Just a few titles I have personally tried or actively played in Wine which run for far longer than those 5 seconds to 20 minutes you mentioned for ESO. ESO is an MMORPG, MMORPGs are notoriously unstable. I'd blame the game, not the compatibility layer (Wine). Heck, ever tried SW:TOR? It has crashbugs that have been in there since its Beta, which still have not yet been fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by F1esDgSdUTYpm0iy View Post
                Ever considered the possibility that the games you were trying were themselves just... unstable? Give more examples please; ESO is not enough by itself. "Haven't gotten a single game to run" implies a plethora of games.

Diablo III -- Runs fine.
                Heroes of the Storm -- Runs fine.
                Hearthstone -- Runs fine, albeit it quite slow; then again, the engine could simply be at fault there because even natively (in Windows), Hearthstone should perform better than it actually does.
                Morrowind -- Runs fine.
                KOTOR1 and 2 -- Run as fine as can be expected from these 2; they were unstable in Windows and remain quite unstable in Wine but not additionally more so.
                Prison Architect -- Runs fine, although Wine is not required since a native build does exist.
                RimWorld -- Runs fine, although Wine is not required since a native build does exist.
                Stardew Valley -- Runs fine, winetricks required though.

Just a few titles I have personally tried or actively played in Wine which run for far longer than those 5 seconds to 20 minutes you mentioned for ESO. ESO is an MMORPG, MMORPGs are notoriously unstable. I'd blame the game, not the compatibility layer (Wine). Heck, ever tried SW:TOR? It has crashbugs that have been in there since its Beta, which still have not yet been fixed.

If the games didn't work fine under windows why would I expect them to work in wine? Legend of Grimrock 2, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, The Secret World, ESO... after the OpenGL game failed (ESO) and a couple weeks of trying to get it or LoG2 working I kind of gave up. There were a few little windows BS apps that failed to run also, but 2 small apps that didn't have a linux counterpart I got working nicely. FYI tried PoL and Crossover as well. PoL was the only way to get ESO past trying to load the launch window.

Comment

In this wine version appears some things like wine icon in wine start button on desktop mode and more work in buffer and DX11 for courtesy jozef kucia and others

In other issues sayonara umihara kawase now shows character and scenary, in before wine versions only ears sound with black screen

However now main problem stay in fonts

Other issue stay in steam fps overlay begins work in DX11 (appears in sayonara umihara kawase and tested in ori and the blind forest DX11 too)

Other titles begins work case cryostasis

Last edited by pinguinpc; 27 May 2016, 10:08 PM.

Comment

If the games didn't work fine under windows why would I expect them to work in wine?
                    Not entirely what I meant but, fine, I'll play -- In my other interest, the demo scene, sometimes demos work borderline close to crashing. Even natively, in Windows, they'll pull off tricks with the APIs that are borderline close to just crashing the house of cards. Now, add to that a compatibility layer (wine) that is not a 100% carbon copy of the original (Windows) and you might see things crashing.

In other words, maybe a few of those rough titles you've tried weren't stable to begin with. Wine is just bringing out the worst in those titles.

Not trying to imply wine is perfect or flawless but to suggest, as per your original post, that nothing works is taking it a bit too far. I played Diablo III for hundreds of hours in wine; without a discrete GPU and while using open source drivers and using a kernel (Liquorix) that isn't officially supported by the distribution I'm using (Xubuntu). Using a version of wine (Gallium enabled wine) that uses software technology (Gallium Nine) that hasn't even been mainlined into the open source drivers. All the makings of an unstable situation and yet, I gave up playing Diablo III for gameplay reasons, not for stability reasons.

Comment

Working...
                    X