Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Next Mesa Version Is Turning Into A Monstrous Release

Phoronix: The Next Mesa Version Is Turning Into A Monstrous Release

With the main Mesa drivers (Intel, RadeonSI, NVC0) jumping ahead to OpenGL 4.3 and mostly done with OpenGL 4.4/4.5, plus Intel adding their Vulkan driver, and many other improvements over the past three months, the next stable release of Mesa is going to be massive...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

OpenGL 4.3 is nice because it also has full compatibility for OpenGL ES 3.0.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Phoronix: The Next Mesa Version Is Turning Into A Monstrous Release

With the main Mesa drivers (Intel, RadeonSI, NVC0) jumping ahead to OpenGL 4.3 and mostly done with OpenGL 4.4/4.5, plus Intel adding their Vulkan driver, and many other improvements over the past three months, the next stable release of Mesa is going to be massive...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ize-Comparison

Congratulations on getting that <pre> block in the article for this new ASCII table. Quick turnaround, I look forward to more preformatted text. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

Typo in the article: "When looking at the changes from Mesa 11.3 to the current Git, ..."
        Fixed, thanks.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Could they only feature freeze it and tag the next version so we get a stable release in reasonable a time-frame.
          I thought mesa moved to new release scheme to move away from this type of releases.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
            Could they only feature freeze it and tag the next version so we get a stable release in reasonable a time-frame.
            I thought mesa moved to new release scheme to move away from this type of releases.
            What types of releases? Large ones? You can have large releases even when releases are time based, it just so happened that large amounts of work landed this cycle. They are also (probably) delaying branching the release to see if Intel can knock out 4.4 and 4.5, since they seem to be so close already.
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post

What types of releases? Large ones? You can have large releases even when releases are time based, it just so happened that large amounts of work landed this cycle. They are also (probably) delaying branching the release to see if Intel can knock out 4.4 and 4.5, since they seem to be so close already.
              Has Intel already indicated that they want to expose so high GL levels at this point?

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post

Has Intel already indicated that they want to expose so high GL levels at this point?
                I think so. Mesa 12.0 Might Be A Delayed Release This Summer With OpenGL 4.5 Support

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                  From the IRC discussion, branching was postponed to today or maybe tomorrow (today is a holiday in the US and UK) solely to get the SIMD32 work in, nothing else. Though the only thing missing for 4.5 is enhanced_layouts, which does have patches on the mailing list, but there doesn't seem to be any rush to get those in before branching.
                  Last edited by Gusar; 30 May 2016, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post

What types of releases?
                    I guess you don't remember how it used to be and that Emil wanted us to have timely releases when he took over as release manager.
                    I rather see them in time then pushed back for some features that rather should be presented in the next version.
                    I think OpenGL4.3 i enough for this release.

Comment

Working...
                    X