Intel Finally Unleashes Broadwell-E: Top End CPU Will Cost You $1723 USD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Finally Unleashes Broadwell-E: Top End CPU Will Cost You $1723 USD

Phoronix: Intel Finally Unleashes Broadwell-E: Top End CPU Will Cost You $1723 USD

As was expected for launching at Computex, the Broadwell-E processors are now out in the wild. The Broadwell-E launch also includes Intel's first ten-core desktop processor, but it will cost you a pretty penny...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The old $999 price point was already obscene. The new asking price is... twice that.
    And the product itself is truly useless. Intel already had their halo product, who's going to buy this? A few thousand users worldwide?
    And the worst part is, if Intel can do this, then it means they don't feel any pressure from Zen

Comment

If you get one, please - pretty please- do a GL benchmark with Intel's new software rasterizer openswr. These high core count CPUs are getting closer and closer to what Larrabee could have been, while openswr if what's left of the software side of the project. When AVX512 gets there eventually, the (already 8 years old) hype will get some closure

Comment

By doing stuff like this, the future will be ARM

Comment

Originally posted by Scellow View Post
          By doing stuff like this, the future will be ARM
          The future may be ARM (unlikely, Intel is still pretty darn huge), but not because of a few obscenely priced CPUs. Intel still has you covered even if you have <$100 to spend on a CPU.
          Last edited by bug77; 31 May 2016, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
            this intel cpu is 25% faster than a AMD-ZEN but i am sure you can buy a ZEN cpu for 399-599€ this means for 25% more you can buy 3 amd cpus...
            Oh, so you do have insider infos on Zen? Tell us more
            We currently have no info about the exact IPC or the clock rates that Zen-based CPU will reach. I'd stay careful with such claims

Comment

When I saw the price I loled. 999$ is already an insane price for a consumer cpu. The performance might be good, but do to the price it's a fail. For pro users it's cheaper to buy xeon.

Comment

The price per value is going to be very high. It would be interesting how the top model compares performancewise to similarly priced Xeon E5v4: http://ark.intel.com/compare/91771,91766,91754,94456

Comment

Originally posted by boffo View Post
                  When I saw the price I loled. 999$ is already an insane price for a consumer cpu. The performance might be good, but do to the price it's a fail. For pro users it's cheaper to buy xeon.
                  There may be some legitimate users for this CPU... more of the people that will buy this CPU will do it for the wank facter

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
                    There may be some legitimate users for this CPU... more of the people that will buy this CPU will do it for the wank facter
                    At this price a xeon should be considered.

Comment

Working...
                    X