Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OwnCloud Forms A Foundation

Phoronix: OwnCloud Forms A Foundation

While we don't yet know the exact cause of the exodus happening at ownCloud Inc recently, there is a seemingly-related announcement that today the company has setup the ownCloud Foundation...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

We need a gpl fork of owncloud core, to not let companies use owncloud code without sharing it to the community. The dual licence you have to sign to provide code to the core, menas you work for free software, but when we need it, your code will be used in closed source project... this makes that non paid free open source community not very happy... even if it's a foundation.
    Last edited by ghibli; 31 May 2016, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Comment

I'm curious; what did openSUSE do?

Comment

"not let companies use owncloud code without sharing it to the community"
          So OwnCloud is AGPLv3 but the license doesn't already protect this?

Or is this just a internal political exodus where volunteer developers and management disagree?

For me to convert from ownCloud would take a fork that does all functions in a superior way - and for the love of god include a "Select All" button in the Android App - manually uploading 3,000 files and clicking each one isn't my idea of fun.

Comment

Or is this just a internal political exodus where volunteer developers and management disagree?

For me to convert from ownCloud would take a fork that does all functions in a superior way - and for the love of god include a "Select All" button in the Android App - manually uploading 3,000 files and clicking each one isn't my idea of fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post

I'm curious; what did openSUSE do?
              Something is explained in the twitter now. Referencing this board rules https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board_election_rules

Richard Brown ‏@sysrich 22m22 minutes ago @volt4ire lots of exmpl. Only 2 community elected seats vs 4 corporate + 1 owncloud appointee. Corporations buying eligibility for the board

---

Klaas Freitag ‏@dragotin 20m20 minutes ago
              @sysrich you will need to explain that on #osc 2016 to me. In openSUSE chairperson has general veto rights and is appointed by SUSE. Hmmm.

---

Richard Brown ‏@sysrich 6m6 minutes ago @dragotin Yes, and the 5 community elected Board members have the right to appeal to SUSE to have me replaced at any time. Somewhat balanced

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
                If it is dual-licensed, the opensource part is AGPL, the other license is something proprietary probably.

Frankly I don't understand what there is of so nice in AGPL. It seems to state the you can also decide to not release the source but release only "machine-readable Corresponding Source", and then it goes on talking of object code.
                Wwhat the hell is this? Assembler?

Comment

Working...
                X