Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu OTA-11 Released As Newest Version For Ubuntu Phones

Phoronix: Ubuntu OTA-11 Released As Newest Version For Ubuntu Phones

Canonical has begun shipping the latest Over-The-Air update for Ubuntu Phones. Ubuntu OTA-11 is starting off the month with providing several new features to Ubuntu Phone early adopters...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ubuntu OTA-11 is starting off the month with providing several new features to Ubuntu Phone early adopters.
    I've never thought of myself as an early adopter... Well, to be fair, after 14 months I still feel as an alpha tester.

Comment

Originally posted by klapaucius View Post

I've never thought of myself as an early adopter... Well, to be fair, after 14 months I still feel as an alpha tester.
      I have bought the BQ Aquaris M10 HD. I am not complaining that the software is not done yet, as I knew that things would be missing. Nevertheless, I am shocked at how incomplete everything is. It is clear that the whole effort is seriously understaffed. Given that it is surprising, that they are trying to reinvent so many things: Mir serves as a good example. I have a hard time seeing the benefits of that.

Comment

Can't wait to be home and check if I'm in today's batch of updates.

I already have a good use of my M10 since I'm not that much interested in convergence, but for now the experience is far from being smooth, with web browser or scope scrolling stuttering as well as the cover flow of apps running. I've been following the correction of bugs these last few weeks, and I know it should be solved with this OTA11, hence I will be able to have the full use of my tablet with a smooth experience.
        The only thing missing now is some more native apps (such as the promising Guitar Tools), correction of bugs in general (device-specific or not) and since this current state of development has been my expectation all along I will be very satisfied with my device.
        Last edited by Mez'; 01 June 2016, 08:03 PM.

Comment

I've only tried UT out on my Nexus 4 a few times; with the last attempt about a month or two ago, everything I did went pretty well. Battery drain seemed a bit higher though, and lack-of encrypted storage support was disappointing. Aside from that though, UT didn't really offer me too much benefit to just plain CyanogenMod either. CM offers better battery life and encryption, along with (mostly) daily images. So while I could use UT, it just doesn't really make much sense to, in my case currently.

Comment

OK, it's here! It definitely improved the general smoothness of my M10. Not yet perfect, still a bit slow on the uptake and stuttering for web browsing, but all in all it feels snappier! I am more naturally enclined to use it (over my Android phone) now.

Comment

I'm really confused as to why they don't focus on builds for Nexus hardware. The kernel source is available; it should be easy. And then you have access to a much, much wider range of testers.

Comment

It downloads to my BQ M10 Ubuntu Edition, throws up a dialog asking me to reboot to install the update. Touch then reboots into recovery and sits at the recovery menu awaiting an input. At the bottom in yellow text is a line that says "Updating Ubuntu Version", but it just sits there for hours with no activity. I reset the tablet back to out of the box and tried again, same issue. I will have to open a ticket with BQ to see why the update doesn't run out of recovery.

Comment

Working...
                X