No announcement yet.

Valve's Steam Survey Shows Linux Gaming Fall To One Of The Lowest Levels Ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve's Steam Survey Shows Linux Gaming Fall To One Of The Lowest Levels Ever

Phoronix: Valve's Steam Survey Shows Linux Gaming Fall To One Of The Lowest Levels Ever

With the start of the new month comes the updated Steam Hardware/Software Survey statistics, and what we always pay attention to is their reported Linux market-share...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Don't worry... Steam Machines will save Linux gaming!

/s

Comment

In a parallel universe...

Valve released HL3 as a SteamOS exclusive, and market share is now closing in on windows. Microsoft and Sony console sales are also dropping worldwide, as people tend to choose Valve's solution these days. Market share also rapidly increases, as other game developers release AAA games for linux, because they can't miss out on such a large market. Yesterday Microsoft announced that they discontinue DX12 due to lack of interest. Vulkan is about to become the de facto standard, especially after people seeing its magic in HL3. Rumor has it, HL3 EP1 is in the making right now.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
        Don't worry... Steam Machines will save Linux gaming!

/s
        Cheap steam machines based on polaris maybe ?

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
          Yesterday Microsoft announced that they discontinue DX12 due to lack of interest.
          do you have a link for this?

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post

do you have a link for this?
            I guess you missed this part:
            In a parallel universe...

Comment

This research is soooo biased. When I used to dual-boot, the research appeared 3 or 4 times for me when I was using Steam from windows and it has never appeared for me when I was using Linux, even though I used to boot windows ONLY to play Dungeonland, Castle Crashers and Polarity.
              Now that it has been almost 2 years since I quit dual booting, the research appeared only once for me.

Comment

For 2 years survey also appeared to me once, but I have doubts there it really huge difference in actual usage. Anyway, I appreciate every game developer that allows me to install their game on Linux, I even have more games bought than I played even once

Comment

This kinda sucks but Valve hasn't been doing anything lately to enrich SteamOS or Linux gaming. SteamVR is still not yet supported on Linux outside of some community hacks and neither is Steam Broadcasting. SteamOS has only been getting upstream bug fixes and graphics driver updates.

At least overall marketshare has re-bounded a bit: up 1.79% in May from 1.65% in April.

This report lists the market share of the top operating systems in use, like Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, and Linux.

Comment

IMO Valve is making a mistake in hitching their wagon to Ubuntu. More than a few Linux users don't like Ubuntu and don't like Unity. Yes I'm aware there are community supported derivatives that provide an alternative to Unity, but that's not the point - none of those are officially supported by Valve.

In the US at least, probably Valve's largest market, I'd wager that a significant number of those gaming at home on Linux, also work in IT. Any Linux IT professional in the US will tell you, the defacto standard for enterprise Linux deployments is Red Hat. RHEL owns the enterprise space, and even the major players like AWS Amazon Linux are just RHEL derivatives.

As a RHEL certified IT professional, I of course use RHEL and CentOS and Fedora at home. Why would I want to bother learning a completely different OS when my day job is managing RHEL servers? Unfortunately, Valve has decided that RHEL and CentOS and Fedora are for the community to support, and they don't want to bother with them. I run into a handful of games that simply don't launch on RHEL 7 but they work fine in Ubuntu. No, I haven't bothered to troubleshoot the issue, and quite frankly, I shouldn't have to - I'm a paying Valve customer. If they want to get serious about expanding their Linux market share, Valve needs to get serious about supporting the OS's that Linux professionals use at home.

Comment

Working...
                    X