OpenGL Performance & Perf-Per-Watt From The Radeon HD 3850 Through R9 Fury

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenGL Performance & Perf-Per-Watt From The Radeon HD 3850 Through R9 Fury

Phoronix: OpenGL Performance & Perf-Per-Watt From The Radeon HD 3850 Through R9 Fury

In part due to the Phoronix 12th birthday this week with running various historical performance comparisons and other interesting benchamrks and in part due to prepping for some long-term comparison data to the Radeon RX 480 launch later this month, for your viewing pleasure this morning are benchmarks testing a variety of graphis cards going back to the Radeon HD 3000 (RV600) series up through the Radeon R9 Fury (Fiji) graphics cards. Enjoy this fun article focusing primarily on the OpenGL performance under Linux over the several generations of ATI/AMD GPUs along with calculating the performance-per-Watt.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The 2900 XT should work if you switch to using GLAMOR instead of EXA.

Comment

A really nice benchmark with interesting results. It happens too often that a much weaker card outperforms a stronger one, in pretty much every test, or almost every one of them. I wonder how these exact same setups running the exact same tests under windows would compare. Or just to fglrx, some old LTS/"stable" distros can still run it.

Comment

screw the power numbers, this is about the best upgrade benchmark I have seen in years ... going from a 5830 to an R7 260X will be totally worth it :-)

thanks Michael, this one is excellent ...

Comment

Originally posted by haplo602 View Post
          screw the power numbers, this is about the best upgrade benchmark I have seen in years ... going from a 5830 to an R7 260X will be totally worth it :-)

thanks Michael, this one is excellent ...
          Or you wait one more month and take Polaris 11 instead

Comment

I would of have preferred to have seen F1 2015, Shadow of Mordor, Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland 2, Saints Row IV, Borderlands: The Presequel or any number of actual games over the likes of GPU-Z and Valley. Still an interesting roundup for sure but could have been better.

Comment

Nice benchmark, good to see the level of support for R600 and radeonSI hardware.
              I will compare it to the one from January http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...=amd-r600-fury
              I would have thought that the odd bird HD 2900XT would have been fixed by now, it makes me wonder how things are today for older hardware like in this old article.
              Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Originally posted by PublicNuisance View Post
                I would of have preferred to have seen F1 2015, Shadow of Mordor, Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland 2, Saints Row IV, Borderlands: The Presequel or any number of actual games over the likes of GPU-Z and Valley. Still an interesting roundup for sure but could have been better.

Most of those games wouldn't run in the older hardware. Besides, most of them also don't have integrated command-line benchmarking option, required by PTS.

Comment

Originally posted by PublicNuisance View Post
                  Basically none of those games would run on all of the older hardware tested, as they all I believe require OpenGL 4, which isn't available on the vast majority of R600g-supported hardware. Basically only the HD 5800 and HD 6900 series would have worked besides the GCN GPUs for this comparison. And yes, they would have also required automated benchmarking support.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Awesome work Michael, thanks for putting together such a great comparison.

Comment

Working...
                    X