Performance & Perf-Per-Watt From NVIDIA's GeForce 9800GTX To GTX 1080

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Performance & Perf-Per-Watt From NVIDIA's GeForce 9800GTX To GTX 1080

Phoronix: Performance & Perf-Per-Watt From NVIDIA's GeForce 9800GTX To GTX 1080

Now that my initial GeForce GTX 1080 Linux review is out the door, I spent this weekend working on a "fun" comparison out of curiosity to see how the raw OpenGL and OpenCL performance has improved over the generations going back to the once-powerful GeForce 9800GTX plus including the top-end cards of the GeForce 600/700/900 Kepler and Maxwell series too.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I love to see old card as GeForce 9800GTX in test, its best thing in benchmarking which i saw in last months, only better thing which i still want to see is some x86,sparc, power comparison..

Comment

Originally posted by ruthan View Post
      I love to see old card as GeForce 9800GTX in test, its best thing in benchmarking which i saw in last months, only better thing which i still want to see is some x86,sparc, power comparison..
      Unfortunately I have no SPARC or POWER hardware...
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Would be nice to see a lineup next to this of AMD's ppw improvements. As well as maybe seeing perf per watt between AMD's and Nvidia's high end cards. (Especially on polaris vs pascal)

Originally posted by Qaridarium
        For me it is very impressive from a technical point of view.
        Technical singularity is coming for sure with numbers like this :
        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technological_singularity
        Yeah it's an inevitability considering that programming (and self-programming) AI will eventually come around.
        Last edited by rabcor; 05 June 2016, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
          Would be nice to see a lineup next to this of AMD's ppw improvements. As well as maybe seeing perf per watt between AMD's and Nvidia's high end cards. (Especially on polaris vs pascal
          Yes will do that once I have Polaris...
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Dammit. Now I want a 1080.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
              Would be nice to see a lineup next to this of AMD's ppw improvements.
              Not sure whether you're being sarcastic. The 9800GTX is years old. I'm not sure you will find a suitable Linux driver for AMD hardware that old.
              I mean, you can look at power usage of the last few generations, but wouldn't be too useful: they're all GCN which has only received minor improvements since 1.0.
              Plus, the review itself is pretty useless: you know your current card is more efficient the your old one (what can you do with that data?), but that's no guarantee this will hold in the future.

Comment

Thank you posting the OpenCL results for Pascal. Exactly what I was looking for. I will make a contribution to Phoronix tonight in appreciation for this work.

Comment

Working...
                X