Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt Automotive Suite Announced

Phoronix: Qt Automotive Suite Announced

The Qt Company has announced the Qt Automotive Suite, a new offering aimed at car makers building in-vehicle infotainment (IVI) systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Seriously, a wink smiley in a news article?

Comment

Considering that Android Auto and the Apple system are hitting cars now, and with car makers traditionally having been really shit at using FOSS software I give this initiative about as much chance of succeeding as that Canonical TV.

Comment

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post
        Considering that Android Auto and the Apple system are hitting cars now, and with car makers traditionally having been really shit at using FOSS software I give this initiative about as much chance of succeeding as that Canonical TV.
        AFAIK it might be even 50% of current ivi systems on the market powered by Qt. Ford is even contributing it's code to Qt.

Comment

Qt is double-license. Those that can't comprehend the concept of FOSS can just use the other licenses.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

Qt is double-license. Those that can't comprehend the concept of FOSS can just use the other licenses.
            We do comprehend. They dual license to play nice with the FLOSS folk (LGPL), but will force you into an expensive license if you want to do anything commercial with it. They don't offer a copyleft license for the "greater good in the spirit of free software" but more of a trap to pay them.

Comment

Originally posted by tegs View Post
              We do comprehend. They dual license to play nice with the FLOSS folk (LGPL), but will force you into an expensive license if you want to do anything commercial with it. They don't offer a copyleft license for the "greater good in the spirit of free software" but more of a trap to pay them.
              Wow, I just read their license terms, and you're TOTALLY RIGHT!!!!

Whoever uses the Qt under LGPL must provide the full source of the Qt libraries they used/modified in their produrct!!!!!

Documentation must also be provided on how to compile/use these modified Qt libraries!!!!!!!

They chose LGPL because it allows closed source applications (the actual meat of the product) to dynamic-link to the libraries without the need to become opensource (unlike GPL)!!!!!!

IT MUST BE A TRAP!!!! THEY WANT YOUR SOURCE CODE OR YOUR MONEY!!!! RUN!!!!!

Seriously, I'm not seeing the issue. Closedsource stuff remains closed.

Comment

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
                Seriously, a wink smiley in a news article?
                You know that Phoronix is a (very good) blog, right ?

Comment

Android and iOS might be hitting carsa now, but as fladzip already wrote, Qt is already there.
                  Also car OEMs are very cautious towards single vendor solutions, they like to be in control of their products, not hand over an important aspect to some other company, especially one that has such a bad reputation as Apple when it comes to allowing customization.

This is also not a product as in something that gets deployed as-is, this is a set of tools and Qt-addons that car manufacturers or those they contract can use to build whatever they want as part of their product strategie.

Cheers,
                  _

Comment

Ehm, you're mixing apples with pineapples.

Android Auto and Apple System are aimed to integrate a smartphone in a car, they expose a bunch of telemetry and screens and things to a smartphone. They are useless without a smartphone.

Qt (in this case) is used to make the actual GUI of cars, all high-end cars now have displays instead of speed/tachometer RPMs, and so on.
                    I find that disturbing, and a bit stupid as currently they look the same as common physical indicators but on a display.

Comment

Working...
                    X