No announcement yet.

KDE Neon User Edition 5.6 Is Released So You Can Easily Experience Plasma 5.6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Neon User Edition 5.6 Is Released So You Can Easily Experience Plasma 5.6

Phoronix: KDE Neon User Edition 5.6 Is Released So You Can Easily Experience Plasma 5.6

The first User Edition release is out for KDE Neon, which allows you to easily experience the latest Plasma stable experience and other updated KDE components...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Just tried it and it is really eye-candy and blazing fast (fast boot and very reactive).

The default colors and icons are perfect, the animations when booting or using the interface are simple and beautiful.
    No visible bug after 30mn, all menus and apps are working.

If like me you were thinking that KDE was a bit "too much" you may like the way they simplified the configuration.

Can't wait to see a real distro with it now, in any case will I use it as my official bootable media.

=> Great job to KDE team!

(I am not a KDE team member, just impressed)

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post
      Just tried it and it is really eye-candy and blazing fast (fast boot and very reactive).

The default colors and icons are perfect, the animations when booting or using the interface are simple and beautiful.
      No visible bug after 30mn, all menus and apps are working.

If like me you were thinking that KDE was a bit "too much" you may like the way they simplified the configuration.

Can't wait to see a real distro with it now, in any case will I use it as my official bootable media.

=> Great job to KDE team!

(I am not a KDE team member, just impressed)
      But it is as real as a distro can be. It's ubuntu with newer Qt and KDE builds.

Comment

This kind of makes Kubuntu redundant. Why would anyone use Kubuntu with an outdated KDE, when you can run Kubuntu with a fresh KDE? That is, of course, if they can pull off a rolling KDE without constantly breaking things.

Comment

Yes it makes Kubuntu somewhat redundant for those seeking bleeding edge KDE, but not everyone wants that. I have the neon dev on my machine and except for a few multiscreen bugs that should be fixed in 5.7, everything else is quite smooth and fast.

Comment

I just tried the live version and it worked well on my HP laptop.
            Very nice looking desktop and effects/themes worked as you would expect.
            No bugs, pretty, fast, just worked.

I also think Kubuntu should get together with these guys and combine resources...would make the ultimate KDE distro IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by tessio View Post

But it is as real as a distro can be. It's ubuntu with newer Qt and KDE builds.
              I guess there are PPAs where you can pull their stuff (on a 16.04 base)? I use KDE on my Ubuntu system at work, and I'd like to try this …

Comment

Does anyone know if they plan to only stick to LTS for their ubuntu-base or will they take over the normal releases? Can't find any information on this topic on the page or the forums...
                I really like the idea, but being stuck to LTS would be somewhat disappointing for a bleeding edge (in terms of DE) distro...

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post
                  Same here. Have tested the Developer edition from stable branches. It was so fast, that i wouldn't expect that. Just insanely fast was the login time... I wonder if the "Neon" build is somehow "special"? I cannot expect this speed on my openSUSE Leap SSD!

Comment

Too bad they don't have repositories for Debian yet. Wasn't that part of the original plan?

Comment

Working...
                    X