Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Spins Its Own FreeBSD Image For The Cloud

Phoronix: Microsoft Spins Its Own FreeBSD Image For The Cloud

Last year Microsoft announced their own Linux platform used by their Azure cloud in the networking space while now the company has announced their own FreeBSD spin for use by customers as a VM OS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So...

Comment

I wouldn't use Azure personally, but this is a really good thing for FreeBSD as someone as big as Microsoft acknowledging them helps put their name out there again and will possibly draw in new developers.

Comment

This is pretty meaningless, the only reason they're supporting it is because so many virtual networking appliances are based on FreeBSD. BigIP F5, pfSense, etc. Nobody who is an all (or even mostly) Linux or FreeBSD shop is going to be using the Microsoft cloud. That's nonsense. It's like thinking that an all-Microsoft shop is going to call LiNode for their hosting needs.

Comment

Phase I (Embrace) finished, starting phase II (Extend)...

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
            This is pretty meaningless, the only reason they're supporting it is because so many virtual networking appliances are based on FreeBSD. BigIP F5, pfSense, etc. Nobody who is an all (or even mostly) Linux or FreeBSD shop is going to be using the Microsoft cloud. That's nonsense. It's like thinking that an all-Microsoft shop is going to call LiNode for their hosting needs.
            There are software houses though whose product has *nix backends and Windows frontends (read: desktop clients). Microsoft is probably tuning Azure to make it more inviting to such parties for end-to-end testing

Comment

Originally posted by LEW21 View Post
              They've already extended things.
              They're unlikely to extinguish anything.

Anyhow. Gotta go and buy some stock in aluminum. Tinfoil seems to be a bestseller these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                I wouldn't use Azure personally, but this is a really good thing for FreeBSD as someone as big as Microsoft acknowledging them helps put their name out there again and will possibly draw in new developers.
                "Microsoft is offering their own spin of FreeBSD via the Azure Marketplace. Microsoft has spun their own FreeBSD 10.3 image that differs from upstream FreeBSD." AHA! New developers? This thing is fucking BSD license, and thats the ONLY reason M$ stole it from bsd, because they can just steal it and make their own proprietary shit thing and never give back changes.

Comment

Originally posted by LEW21 View Post
                  As long as they extinguish FreeBSD and leave Linux IDC

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                    Nobody who is an all (or even mostly) Linux or FreeBSD shop is going to be using the Microsoft cloud. That's nonsense. It's like thinking that an all-Microsoft shop is going to call LiNode for their hosting needs.
                    If you hunt around for statistics:
                    - 80% of the Fortune 500 companies use Windows in some capacity.
                    - 90% of the Fortune 500 companies use Linux in some capacity.
                    - 25% of the virtual machines on Windows Azure run Linux.

So the majority of big businesses have a hybrid environment. I hate Microsoft as much as any other free software fanatic (and I don't mean 'free software fanatic' in a pejorative way), but they're just being practical here and trying to capture as many customers as possible.

My wild guess is that most companies want to run everything on Linux or FreeBSD purely for cost reasons but it will take decades to transition all of their legacy software off of Windows.

Comment

Working...
                    X