Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Client Now Stable With Better AMD Vulkan Performance

Phoronix: Steam Client Now Stable With Better AMD Vulkan Performance

Valve released a stable Steam client update on Friday evening with all of the changes we've been seeing from the frequent beta releases...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This latest Steam update is bad!

It breaks way too many things:

- MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.1 + MESA_GLSL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=410 doesn't work anymore, e.g. for DIRT Showdown. It worked flawlessly before and I get the "Your system doesn't meet the OpenGL 4.1 requirements" again. It's still set in the launcher options for god's sake!

- Moreover, I get a "Failed to create D3D device" which is plain wrong since it's Windows related!!

- I have to start Team Fortress 2 with force_s3tc_enable=true because Steam can't find GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc. I just installed libtxc-dxtn-s2tc0 a few weeks back (it's still installed) and the game started perfectly up to yesterday's steam update.

What the heck?

PS: On latest padoka Mesa-dev, r600g and kernel 4.7rc2
    Last edited by Mez'; 11 June 2016, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post

- MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.1 + MESA_GLSL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=410 doesn't work anymore, e.g. for DIRT Showdown. It worked flawlessly before and I get the "Your system doesn't meet the OpenGL 4.1 requirements" again. It's still set in the launcher options for god's sake!

- Moreover, I get a "Failed to create D3D device" which is plain wrong since it's Windows related!!

- I have to start Dota2 with force_s3tc_enable=true because Steam can't find GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc. I just installed libtxc-dxtn-s2tc0 a few weeks back (it's still installed) and the game started perfectly up to yesterday's steam update.

What the heck?

what about making a bug report?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

They did? you just read it *runs*

Comment

- I have to start Team Fortress 2 with force_s3tc_enable=true because Steam can't find GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc. I just installed libtxc-dxtn-s2tc0 a few weeks back (it's still installed) and the game started perfectly up to yesterday's steam update.

What the heck?

All of these work fine for me, with both the normal and beta client. Similar setup, only with 16.04 stable kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
            They did? you just read it *runs*
            A bug report needs to be in the usual place the devs look for bug reports, usually the bugtracker.

Comment

Done. https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steam-for-linux/issues

I tried to roll back to combinations of oibaf ppa or stable Mesa 11.2 and stable kernel, to no avail.

Dirt Showdown works fine in Manjaro gnome after update with kernel 4.7rc2 and mesa-git, though I couldn't test with Team Fortress 2 for a lack of storage space on this test partition.

It looks like a very specific Ubuntu issue created by the update.

Psychonauts doesn't work anymore either.

I just received my Steam Controller and was happy to test it out this weekend without having to tinker that much. It's really bad timing.
              Last edited by Mez'; 11 June 2016, 11:31 AM.

Comment

What the heck?
                May I remind you heck is a real place that kitties go to for doing bad things. Please respect /sarcasm

--

Sarcasm aside - is the launch option for Vulkan -vulkan ??? I was trying to demo DOTA 2 with MESA the other day.

Comment

A bug report needs to be in the usual place the devs look for bug reports, usually the bugtracker.
                  bah - completely over rated! It might get fixed and then what would we have to whinge about!

Comment

What the heck?

Stupid question: what do you see if you start steam from a terminal with
                    LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose steam

This feels similar to issues had with steam updates and their copies of libgcc_s and libstdc++ getting reinstalled causing me to fall back to software rendering.

Comment

Working...
                    X