Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDGPU-PRO vs. Linux 4.7 + Mesa 12.1-dev OpenGL Benchmarks

Phoronix: AMDGPU-PRO vs. Linux 4.7 + Mesa 12.1-dev OpenGL Benchmarks

A few days back I posted a fresh comparison of AMDGPU-PRO against NVIDIA's binary driver on various GPUs. Those numbers didn't include any direct AMDGPU-PRO vs. open-source Radeon/AMDGPU + RadeonSI numbers, but here they are on a couple GPUs if you are curious about the state of Linux 4.7 Git and Mesa 12.1-dev...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Also had the R9 290 performance regression when I tried Mesa-git on my Arch install. Going back 11.2 solved it.

Comment

Its good to see the open source driver doing well!

How hard is it to change from the OSS driver to the binary blob? can you just "flick a switch" and launch a game on one or the other driver?

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
        Its good to see the open source driver doing well!

How hard is it to change from the OSS driver to the binary blob? can you just "flick a switch" and launch a game on one or the other driver?
        It may be possible to do it more easily once mainline Mesa and AMDGPU-PRO support GLVND.... But for now the AMDGPU-PRO driver with its Debian packages make it easy to install/uninstall very quickly at least on Ubuntu followed by reboot.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SirCoolCat View Post
          Also had the R9 290 performance regression when I tried Mesa-git on my Arch install. Going back 11.2 solved it.
          Good to hear it's just not my system seeing a R9 290 regression!
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Good to hear it's just not my system seeing a R9 290 regression!
            Are you using the latest firmware?

Comment

impressive! who knows - maybe the proprietary driver stack soon will be obsolete

Comment

Well, application specific profiles for the driver... the devs once stated they don't want this in the freedom stack to prevent bloat and will rather check why something runs below expected performance in case there is some bug / bottleneck that could be solved. On the other hand profiles might help a few applications to gain some additional performance. Would be interesting to see how many percent of overall bytes in a blob driver are just profiles and application aware / specific optimizations.

Generally it's good to see there is steady performance (and steadily growing) with the free driver, let aside the occasional regressions. But as long as this is noted and ironed out before a release is done it's okay (and I guess it's normal that once you change something it might hit elsewhere and trigger a regression).
                Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

I've noticed a lot of sluggishness with the 390X and the amdgpu-pro driver too

Comment

The R9 290 performance regression must be a kernel problem. I am using Kubuntu 16.04 with Padoka packages, but with the stock 4.4 kernel. Just did a Unigine Heaven benchmark, with these results:

Unigine Heaven Benchmark 4.0

FPS:50.9
                    Score:1283
                    Min FPS:8.4
                    Max FPS:99.4

System

Platform:Linux 4.4.0-24-generic x86_64
                    CPU model:AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor (4520MHz) x8
                    GPU model:Unknown GPU (256MB) x1

Settings

Render:OpenGL
                    Mode:1920x1080 4xAA fullscreen
                    Preset:Custom
                    Quality:Ultra
                    Tessellation:Normal

Please note that I used the quality preset at Ultra and AA 4X, with normal Tesselation. And my FX-8350 CPU (witch is overclocked a little) is weaker than the Intel CPUs that Michel uses.

That Tesselation and anti-aliasing patches are working wonders in Unigine Heaven.

Comment

Working...
                    X