No announcement yet.

Building A Massive L-Shaped Desk For A Better Workflow, More Monitors & Space

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building A Massive L-Shaped Desk For A Better Workflow, More Monitors & Space

Phoronix: Building A Massive L-Shaped Desk For A Better Workflow, More Monitors & Space

For the Phoronix 12th birthday and in trying to make a more efficient workflow and some general improvements to reinvigorate my general 100 hour work weeks across the span of Phoronix Media, I decided to set out on building a new desk this past week. Here's the result with having a massive, 8 and 10 foot sides to a L-shaped wooden and steel desk.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Very nice, Michael! Now all you need is a KVM switch to cut down on the keyboards and mice :P

Btw, got something to send to you sometime in the next few days. It's still WIP.
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
      Very nice, Michael! Now all you need is a KVM switch to cut down on the keyboards and mice :P

Btw, got something to send to you sometime in the next few days. It's still WIP.
      The reason why I don't use a KVM switch is that aside from the 4K-supported ones tending to be expensive, even when I'm running graphics benchmarks on a system, I try to at least passively watch the tests run to ensure no visual artifacts or other issues. Or when doing all the Git testing that I do, to quickly see when a system is hung. So it'd probably get annoying switching my main display all the time and not sure if any KVM switches have an option for an auto-cycle to keep swtiching between inputs to see that or not, but long story short, those have been the main reasons.

Sounds good! Just realized I forgot to reply to your last email, sorry about that!
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

The reason why I don't use a KVM switch is that aside from the 4K-supported ones tending to be expensive, even when I'm running graphics benchmarks on a system, I try to at least passively watch the tests run to ensure no visual artifacts or other issues. Or when doing all the Git testing that I do, to quickly see when a system is hung. So it'd probably get annoying switching my main display all the time and not sure if any KVM switches have an option for an auto-cycle to keep swtiching between inputs to see that or not, but long story short, those have been the main reasons.
        What about just doing keyboard-mouse through a basic, cheapo, one? Keep the video outputs split up to the diff monitors and toggle the input devices. (This is assuming that the multiple keyboards/mice is even a nuisance to you, I just know it'd bug the crap out of me xD )

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post

What about just doing keyboard-mouse through a basic, cheapo, one? Keep the video outputs split up to the diff monitors and toggle the input devices. (This is assuming that the multiple keyboards/mice is even a nuisance to you, I just know it'd bug the crap out of me xD )
          Possibility, but then would be awkward still for like the monitor(s) to my side, with having to keep my head turned while typing as opposed to spinning in chair and typing forward. But with having more space now, maybe I'll play around with something like that to see if I can come up with a configuration where my neck wouldn't be strained.
          Michael Larabel

Comment

Hmmmm... a double or quad VESA mount could keep all the monitors "forward" and open up the rest of the desk, but I don't know what you would then put in the freed up space.

Comment

Lookin good!

Comment

Very nice. I like the big open area for legroom... guess that's the benefit you get from fastening the two parts of the 'L' together very securely.

If you ever need a water cooled desk most of the infrastructure will already be in place.
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  Very nice. I like the big open area for legroom... guess that's the benefit you get from fastening the two parts of the 'L' together very securely.

If you ever need a water cooled desk most of the infrastructure will already be in place.
                  With these Kee Klamp fittings, at that corner all that is effectively holding both sides together is basically like a single set screw. But the company claims that it's rated to support 2,000 lbs.
                  Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Possibility, but then would be awkward still for like the monitor(s) to my side, with having to keep my head turned while typing as opposed to spinning in chair and typing forward. But with having more space now, maybe I'll play around with something like that to see if I can come up with a configuration where my neck wouldn't be strained.
                    It might be a good time to try out http://symless.com/synergy/ instead of using a KVM. At the very least you can get a review article out of it

Comment

Working...
                    X