Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LLVM 3.9 Planned For Release In Late August

Phoronix: LLVM 3.9 Planned For Release In Late August

For those wondering about the stable release of LLVM should you be interested in it for packaging Clang, the latest AMDGPU back-end, or other reasons, there is now a tentative release plan...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

LLVM 4.0 next? So much for useful version numbers. The logical next release should be 3.10 after that, followed be 3.11....

Comment

Originally posted by jhenke View Post
      LLVM 4.0 next? So much for useful version numbers. The logical next release should be 3.10 after that, followed be 3.11....
      After x.9 they've always done x+1.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

After x.9 they've always done x+1.
        Which makes no sense at all. What I dislike it even more about it, it makes people think that you count version numbers like that in general.

IMHO they should drop the major version all together then and just count up the number by release, similar to gcc. Because like that the 3.x or 4.x is completely meaningless. (I also think the Linux kernel is another bad example in terms of versioning)

Comment

It's a bit frustrating that we need LLVM3.9 to get the latest and greatest from Mesa 12, since it isn't released until months later... But I'd rather have that than the other way, that is NOT having the new OpenGL stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by jhenke View Post
            Which makes no sense at all. What I dislike it even more about it, it makes people think that you count version numbers like that in general.
            Honestly, in this day and age there is very little concensus regarding version numbering. And as a result, it's not to worry about too much. As long as the numbers remain sane; as in, something that package managers can work with reliably then it's all good.

Comment

Working...
            X