NEMO-UX Goes Commercial To Focus On Futuristic, Multi-User Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEMO-UX Goes Commercial To Focus On Futuristic, Multi-User Wayland

Phoronix: NEMO-UX Goes Commercial To Focus On Futuristic, Multi-User Wayland

A few years back we covered the Nemoshell for Wayland and back in 2014 how NEMO-UX was working on a futuristic, multi-user Wayland experience. It's been a while since hearing anything about Nemo, but we've received some information today from the newly-formed company that's trying to push this Wayland experience further...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'd totally buy something like that. Like NOW.

Now seriously we can get a good touch-oriented linux interface.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      I'd totally buy something like that. Like NOW.

Now seriously we can get a good touch-oriented linux interface.
      Well, with the help of MPX, you could get a pretty decent one for several years. But, MPX is obviously much less user-friendly to set up, and not many people know about it since it's not fully compatible with every desktop environment.

But, NEMO-UX seems to be very well-made. I wouldn't mind getting a tablet with this on it.

Comment

88% CPU usage (with 8 Cores) ...

Comment

Originally posted by Rabin View Post
          it is so futuristic that it also requires hw from the distant future

Comment

Originally posted by Rabin View Post
            Where you read it?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              Well, with the help of MPX, you could get a pretty decent one for several years.
              Uhm, what is MPX? Only relevant thing I could find is a multi-mouse-pointer system that is cool, but a multi-mouse-pointer system, not a full-blown DE.

Comment

Where you read it?
                On second video he opens terminal and runs "top".

Comment

Uhm, what is MPX? Only relevant thing I could find is a multi-mouse-pointer system that is cool, but a multi-mouse-pointer system, not a full-blown DE.
                  Yes, that's it. I never said it was a full-blown DE. In fact, I even said "not fully compatible with every desktop environment". But it allows you to do many of the same things that NEMO-UX does, just a lot less fancy and more focused on multitasking rather than gestures. Obviously, you need to get a little creative with it. I'm not entirely sure if Wayland supports the multi-input system that MPX offers (it probably does) but Weston supports things like window scaling and rotation. So then all you need is a gesture system.

Comment

Originally posted by leonmaxx View Post
                    On second video he opens terminal and runs "top".
                    Ah, right. Downloaded fullHD video.
                    Must be in software rendering.

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    Yes, that's it. I never said it was a full-blown DE. In fact, I even said "not fully compatible with every desktop environment". But it allows you to do many of the same things that NEMO-UX does, just a lot less fancy and more focused on multitasking rather than gestures.
                    Uhm, can you please explain how a multiple-mouse-pointer system can be defined "touch oriented" like I said above?

"touch-oriented" = gestures. At least for me. I mean have you ever used an Android device? Most of the time you are using gestures (swipes usually), not multitouch/multitasking.

Multitouch is of course welcome (pinch to zoom) but you can do without (it's not optimal).
                    Saying that a multi-mouse-pointer (kinda multitouch) is anywhere near touch-oriented is a bit a stretch.

Obviously, you need to get a little creative with it.
                    Like adding gestures out of thin air? That's some serious development time. :/

Comment

Working...
                    X