NVIDIA 367.27 Linux Driver Released As Stable With VDPAU Feature Set H

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA 367.27 Linux Driver Released As Stable With VDPAU Feature Set H

Phoronix: NVIDIA 367.27 Linux Driver Released As Stable With VDPAU Feature Set H

NVIDIA has released the 367.27 Linux driver as their first stable release in the 367 driver series...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does that version of the driver change anything to the vdpauinfo output regarding HEVC_MAIN_10 decoding support?

Comment

Hi yall,

Thanks for the heads up again about the newer drivers! The ATI/AMD stuff on Debian Stable, frequently turned 4K clarity, into tie-dye mess during video playback. I do wish the "Red Team" well, but "bother" 10 years plus is a long time to get your ***t together. Perhaps this new driver release will finally do it, eh? ;-)

My 1080 is "Out For Delivery..." and I feel like a somewhat younger version of myself at christmas.... Today at work might just drag, until I get home, install etc.

Green Team FTW!

Greekgeek :-)

Comment

Still no fix for the resume from suspend bug for 900-series cards? I mean it's been unresolved since last year, so it's about time they fixed it because I've personally run into it twice over the last week.

Comment

Originally posted by spiridow View Post
          Does that version of the driver change anything to the vdpauinfo output regarding HEVC_MAIN_10 decoding support?
          10- and 12-bit decode support won't be in VDPAU for a long time, if ever, it seems. Apparently it requires quite a bit of re-work of the library, and I doubt NVIDIA is even working on it.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
            Still no fix for the resume from suspend bug for 900-series cards? I mean it's been unresolved since last year, so it's about time they fixed it because I've personally run into it twice over the last week.
            What happens?

Has the bug been reported?

Comment

The VDPAU part is a bit weird. Feature set G is new but: "In addition, these GPUs have hardware support for the HEVC Main 12 profile. VDPAU does not currently support the HEVC Main 12 profile." Feature set H is just like G with 8k support for HEVC. Why does VDPAU not support HEVC Main 12? vdpauinfo checks it and also for Main 10, Main Still, Main 444?!

Comment

It's refering to the VDPAU API which doesn't support Main10 & Main12 yet and the driver doesn't support Main10 & Main12 yet also.

On Windows Main10 hardware decoding has been working for a long time on GTX 960/GTX 950.

Currently, VDPAU does not seem to support HEVC Main10 at all even where the hardware should support it. (For example, vdpauinfo returns “— not supported —” on HEVC_MAIN_10 on a GTX 960) From what I understand, HEVC Main10 is supported via other hardware decoding APIs (e.g. d3d11va) on suitable hardware. Since Main10 seems to be the most common profile from the HEVC test clips I’ve seen, coupled with the fact that main10 is the only profile my CPU is too slow to decode in realtime, this would be...

There are two issues with HEVC_MAIN_10. First, you're right that the driver doesn't support it yet. For future reference, that's tracked in internal bug 1617735.

The other issue is an API one: VDPAU doesn't provide a way to allocate, render to, or display a 10-bit surface. So even if bug 1617735 is fixed, the driver would have to dither down to 8 bits for display. Internal bug 1632828 tracks adding 10-bit surface support to the API and the driver.
                Nvidia is working on enabling Main10 in the driver & VDPAU API and probably Main12 now too since Pascal supports it.
                Last edited by GT220; 13 June 2016, 06:39 PM.

Comment

10/12 bit output would be nice but I think it would be fine to support 8 bit output for Main 10. If that is possible with GM2 it would be even better as only Main 12 is mentioned for feature set G.

Comment

We've fused together real-time ray tracing, artificial intelligence, and programmable shading to give you a whole new way to create and enjoy games.

Feature Set H supports Main12, it's mentioned clearly in the GTX 1080 whitepaper also.

Comment

Working...
                    X