Git 2.9 Released: Adds Git-MultiMail, Many Sub-Command Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Git 2.9 Released: Adds Git-MultiMail, Many Sub-Command Improvements

Phoronix: Git 2.9 Released: Adds Git-MultiMail, Many Sub-Command Improvements

Git 2.9.0 was announced today by Junio Hamano as the latest stable version of this distributed revision control system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Only metadata CoW? I agree with Linus, a filesystem's primary job is to protect the DATA. Otherwise it sounds good, but designing such a FS is no small feat. We can only hope that this will not result in another lame duck like Microsoft's ReFS.

<irony>At least Apple fanboys will now hopefully stop droning about how fantastic HFS+ is.</irony>

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
      Only metadata CoW? I agree with Linus, a filesystem's primary job is to protect the DATA. Otherwise it sounds good, but designing such a FS is no small feat. We can only hope that this will not result in another lame duck like Microsoft's ReFS.

<irony>At least Apple fanboys will now hopefully stop droning about how fantastic HFS+ is.</irony>
      I never once saw anyone claim HFS+ is good... but maybe I don't go to bad parts of the interwebs.

(Also, wrong thread)

Comment

Using emails to do code review and project management feels so outdated and unproductive..

I get that many Linux kernel developers carry old habits from the 90's. Maybe it's time to move on ?

Comment

Originally posted by wagaf View Post
          Using emails to do code review and project management feels so outdated and unproductive..

I get that many Linux kernel developers carry old habits from the 90's. Maybe it's time to move on ?
          The problem they have is one of scale and too many interrupts. In their case reading from a queue is much more effective than someone on IRC asking for a code review.

The Linux kernel team also reviews their stuff about once a year (i think at the Linux Plumbers conf) to see where they can make things better

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post

The problem they have is one of scale and too many interrupts. In their case reading from a queue is much more effective than someone on IRC asking for a code review.

The Linux kernel team also reviews their stuff about once a year (i think at the Linux Plumbers conf) to see where they can make things better
            They could use an existing proper tool like Gerrit or develop one like they did with Git.

Comment

What and why do they keep rewriting (especially non-core) parts of Git n C? I thought we could do better by 2016.

Comment

Originally posted by wagaf View Post
                Maybe it's time to move on ?
                There is no tool which can be used on such large project like linux kernel. Greg (one of mains kernel devs) always says... let us know if find something...

Comment

Originally posted by edgmnt View Post
                  What and why do they keep rewriting (especially non-core) parts of Git n C? I thought we could do better by 2016.
                  Because one of git advantages is that it is FAST. Creating new commit or branch must be immediately. And also low memory usage. And for these two reasons there is no better way than C.

Comment

Originally posted by pali View Post

There is no tool which can be used on such large project like linux kernel. Greg (one of mains kernel devs) always says... let us know if find something...
                    They could always use GitLab or something similar and expose the platform's communication infrastructure to a broader audience.

Comment

Working...
                    X