AMD Opens Up A New Mailing List For Open-Source AMDGPU Development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Opens Up A New Mailing List For Open-Source AMDGPU Development

Phoronix: AMD Opens Up A New Mailing List For Open-Source AMDGPU Development

There is a new dedicated mailing list for AMDGPU DRM driver patches...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sure... And when the RadeonHD driver guys wanted a mailinglist for a proper open source driver, they got told to f off. Who approved this and/or did the admin work?

And why could they not reuse the old ati mailinglist like the aggressive forkers did back then?
    Last edited by libv; 16 June 2016, 08:05 AM. Reason: add -ati ml whining...

Comment

Something is going to have to happen with AMDGPU. I'm on Xubuntu 16.04 which does not use the OEM AMD drivers but uses AMDGPU in the 4.6 Linux kernel. All aspects of video are HORRIBLE. 2D, video and desktop screen tearing is horrible. 3D is well, don't know. Steam won't install, but from bench marks on this board it is a step backwards.
      I see the wisdom of AMDGPU but this is a pretty bad showing.

Comment

Doesn't 16.04 use the 4.4 kernel ? Which hardware are you using ? Are you running the all-open stack that ships with the distro or the beta hybrid/pro stack ? Both stacks include amdgpu in the name.

Which driver do you feel it is a step backwards from ?
        Last edited by bridgman; 16 June 2016, 11:15 AM.
        Test signature

Comment

Little offtop: any info when AMD will implement vi_pcie_gen3_enable() and does it make sense to file a bug report requesting this feature? My GPU is TONGA and my motherboard supports only PCI-E x8 Gen 2 (yes, it is a server board), so I think switching to gen 2 should make a noticeable performance gain in my specific case.

Comment

Originally posted by puleglot View Post
            lets stay OT; more important would be to support -> GLX_EXT_buffer_age <- to get proper vsync without tearing on radeonsi/amdgpu

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              Doesn't 16.04 use the 4.4 kernel ? Which hardware are you using ? Are you running the all-open stack that ships with the distro or the beta hybrid/pro stack ? Both stacks include amdgpu in the name.

Which driver do you feel it is a step backwards from ?
              My goof. Yeah, 16.04 uses 4.4. My video is an AMD HD7870. It had good support on 14.10 which I upgraded from. I used the OEM Flgrx drivers though.
              I used the driver version the distro pulled down; I didn't manually download them from AMD and install them so the drivers were actually pretty dated. Never got around to upgrading them because I was waiting for the next LTS version to come out. But over all, desktop 2D and video playback was nice; 3D was "fair".
              I've been on 16.04 for a couple weeks and using the default drivers. 2D and video is awful because of screen tearing. It seems like Vsync is disabled.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium

for the "OEM flgrx" feeling you need to install AMDGPU-PRO this driver is in beta right now.
                or wait until it has a official release.
                Well, phooey. My HD7870 card isn't on the supported list for AMDGPU-PRO.

Comment

Originally posted by puleglot View Post
                  Little offtop: any info when AMD will implement vi_pcie_gen3_enable() and does it make sense to file a bug report requesting this feature? My GPU is TONGA and my motherboard supports only PCI-E x8 Gen 2 (yes, it is a server board), so I think switching to gen 2 should make a noticeable performance gain in my specific case.
                  The driver already handles this automatically in the powerplay code.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Righteous View Post
                    Well, phooey. My HD7870 card isn't on the supported list for AMDGPU-PRO.
                    Exactly - you're not running the amdgpu open source stack either by the way, you're running the radeon stack AFAIK if you have a stock 16.04 install.

I'm surprised you are finding it less pleasant than fglrx though -- my impression was that most people preferred the desktop experience of radeon over fglrx. Did you have the tearfree option (triple buffering even for 2D IIRC) enabled on fglrx ?

Maybe it's an Xubuntu (xfce) vs Ubuntu (unity) difference ?

Hold on - which compositor are you using and what are the settings ? IIRC the stock Xubuntu install uses xrender for compositing which is going to tear like crazy without a driver hack. I believe you need to use an OpenGL compositor like Compton or Compiz with the vsync option enabled to get tear-free results.
                    Last edited by bridgman; 16 June 2016, 04:08 PM.
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X