Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 24 Is Cleared For Landing Next Week

Phoronix: Fedora 24 Is Cleared For Landing Next Week

After being challenged by multiple delays this release cycle, Fedora 24 was given the go-ahead to be released next week...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

the gvfs-afc bug is still there. unlucky.

Comment

Is there a easy dnf command to upgrade from F23 to F24 on Landing day without fuss?

Comment

Originally posted by flubba86 View Post
        Is there a easy dnf command to upgrade from F23 to F24 on Landing day without fuss?
        You'll have to install the system-upgrade dnf plugin, but yes:

sudo dnf system-upgrade download --releasever=24

It will yell at you about conflicts, you can try to fix it yourself, or add "--allowerasing" for dnf to try to work it out on its own. Depending on how many third party repos you have, and how many aren't updated yet, maybe it'll be able to work it out, and maybe not. Regardless though, it won't let you upgrade until the package situation can be resolved sanely.
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by flubba86 View Post
          Yes. "dnf install dnf-plugin-system-upgrade"; "man dnf.plugin.system-upgrade"; "dnf system-upgrade --datadir=<tmpdirpath>; download --releasever 24"; "dnf-system-upgrade reboot"; "dnf system-upgrade clean"

dnf system-upgrade will work most reliably if you first
          "dnf autoremove"
          "dnf list --showduplicates"
          (resolve duplicate packages and dnf erase any duplicates)
          "dnf list | cut -d' ' -f1 | tee f23.pkglist"

Make sure you save f23.pkglist someplace safe where you can get to it if everything goes south and dnf system-upgrade doesn't work. I've never had system-upgrade not work, but an alternative is to do a fresh f24 install. Edit any unwanted packages out of the list, then

1. Do fresh f24 install on a root partition separate from your good f23.
          2. login to f24 and "dnf install < f23.edited-pkglist" to get the packages you had in f23, or something reasonably close.
          Last edited by pipe13; 17 June 2016, 02:09 AM.

Comment

Gnome Softwae will also be updated in Fedora 23 to allow a graphical upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by pipe13 View Post

Yes. "dnf install dnf-plugin-system-upgrade"; "man dnf.plugin.system-upgrade"; "dnf system-upgrade --datadir=<tmpdirpath>; download --releasever 24"; "dnf-system-upgrade reboot"; "dnf system-upgrade clean"

dnf system-upgrade will work most reliably if you first
              "dnf autoremove"
              "dnf list --showduplicates"
              (resolve duplicate packages and dnf erase any duplicates)
              "dnf list | cut -d' ' -f1 | tee f23.pkglist"

Make sure you save f23.pkglist someplace safe where you can get to it if everything goes south and dnf system-upgrade doesn't work. I've never had system-upgrade not work, but an alternative is to do a fresh f24 install. Edit any unwanted packages out of the list, then

1. Do fresh f24 install on a root partition separate from your good f23.
              2. login to f24 and "dnf install < f23.edited-pkglist" to get the packages you had in f23, or something reasonably close.
              This is so much cleaner (and better) than "do-release-upgrade". /s

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

This is so much cleaner (and better) than "do-release-upgrade". /s
                My version was a fair bit cleaner :P He's going overboard from about 5 different ships.
                All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post

My version was a fair bit cleaner :P He's going overboard from about 5 different ships.
                  I wonder why releasever is required. Can dnf really do arbitrary upgrades?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I wonder why releasever is required. Can dnf really do arbitrary upgrades?
                    dnf can, yes as mentioned in https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DNF_system_upgrade

Fedora lifecycle is explicitly designed to support users skipping a release

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedor...ase_Life_Cycle

So users can say skip 24 and jump from 23 to 25 if they wanted to. What dnf system upgrade plugin does is fairly simple

https://github.com/rpm-software-mana...tem_upgrade.py

It is downloading all the newer version packages and its dependencies in /var/lib/dnf/system-upgrade, creates a flag file similar to fsck, then it boots in a special upgrade target using systemd to run through the upgrade. Since it isn't really doing anything that special, it can handle upgrades to any release as long as packages are cleanly upgradeable. In practice if you jump several major releases, you might not run into problems but this isn't a limitation of dnf itself.
                    Last edited by RahulSundaram; 17 June 2016, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X