Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faster Rendering Appears To Be Coming For LibreOffice

Phoronix: Faster Rendering Appears To Be Coming For LibreOffice

Some rendering speed improvements have been worked on recently for the LibreOffice open-source office suite and are now present in LO Git...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's welcome news, since LO on my superfast i7 can't keep up with my 30-mistakes-per-minute hunt-and-peck typing speed. Even online doc suites give better performance.

Comment

I suspect its more to do with mobile targets than desktop - I am not sure if desktops use the tile rendering approach.

Comment

Originally posted by bregma View Post
        That's welcome news, since LO on my superfast i7 can't keep up with my 30-mistakes-per-minute hunt-and-peck typing speed. Even online doc suites give better performance.
        Dude, that's weird. On my Sandybridge i5, LO works with no noticeable delay ever. It's probably something about your setup. I got ubuntu 14.04, xfce, LO 5.1.something.

Comment

I too hope for a speedup in rendering. Occasionally I ran into some strange issues. Sadly it's already a bit late for the largest / most intensive text I wrote so far.
          Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by eltomito View Post

Dude, that's weird. On my Sandybridge i5, LO works with no noticeable delay ever. It's probably something about your setup. I got ubuntu 14.04, xfce, LO 5.1.something.
            Zero delay on my FX-8350. SSD/32GB RAM Debian Sid, LO 5.2 Developer. Takes about 3 seconds to load and open LO Writer. I type between 65-75 WPM.

Comment

Originally posted by bregma View Post
              I have heard this from other people as well, but I have never seen this issue.
              Can you name an example that can be replicated?

Comment

I find writer input is quick, but draw text boxes are painful. Was on windows 10 machine.
                Ended up doing some documents in writer rather than draw. Formatting was more difficult but was quicker to get words in.

Comment

Strange. People seem to be complaining about performance.

I have personally never had any performance issues whatsoever on any of my systems (powerful i7 5960X desktop, weak ARM NVIDIA Tegra K1 laptop). I use gentoo on both systems, with libreoffice 5.1, and I type pretty fast (between 100-120 WPM depending on the text).

Comment

The problem is not the rendering speed, the problem is that the text gets "messed up" (visual corruption) after a while and you have to scroll to make it look good again. This bug has been around for years? LOL, what a nice office suite! Sorry, but I'll stick with my "free" copy of Office 2010.

Comment

Working...
                    X