Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTK's Roadmap Updated, Here's What Is Coming For GNOME 3.22

Phoronix: GTK's Roadmap Updated, Here's What Is Coming For GNOME 3.22

This past week the GTK+ road-map was updated during the GTK hackfest with more plans for the future, on top of their new vision for GTK+ 4.0 and beyond...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I like the idea of a tab-bar control widget for GTK Stack. I prefer the idea of a gtkStack but the tab-bar is just a nicer switcher and more flexible widget than either the normal stack switcher of the sidebar switcher. Using a notebook widget though is a pain for design and spacing due to different themes giving the tabs different hieghts and widths. That multi-paned idea looks good as well, I can think of a couple of programs that woudl dramtically benefit from that.

Comment

I'm using Gnome 3.20 on Debian Testing.

Nautilus doesn't show icons over Desktop on Gnome on Wayland session.

That's another thing to solve for Gnome 3.22, thought.

Comment

"moe" in article

Comment

Originally posted by DebianLinuxero View Post
          I'm using Gnome 3.20 on Debian Testing.

Nautilus doesn't show icons over Desktop on Gnome on Wayland session.

That's another thing to solve for Gnome 3.22, thought.
          Maybe maybe not. The nautilus component that handles that is X11 specific and porting it to Wayland involves a re-architecture (moving it to its own process) that is a 'low priority' task.
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

It seems like every time anything open source hits 4.0 they're like "fuck it" and then you go from Firefox 4.0 to Firefox 58.0 in a couple years.

Someone warn Linus.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post

Maybe maybe not. The nautilus component that handles that is X11 specific and porting it to Wayland involves a re-architecture (moving it to its own process) that is a 'low priority' task.
              But it's a requirement for the rhel desktop, so it'll be put in there, even if in a very hacky way.

Comment

They could just layer a transparent file manager window on top of the regular desktop, couldn't they?
                Sort of hacky but that should get the deed done in no time.

Comment

AFAIK the relevant work separating the desktop view into semi-indepedendent code is being done in Nautilus for 3.22.

Comment

Working...
                  X