Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The On-Disk Shader Cache For Mesa's Intel Driver Has Been Revived

Phoronix: The On-Disk Shader Cache For Mesa's Intel Driver Has Been Revived

Timothy Arceri of Collabora has prepped the latest version of his massive patch-set for providing an on-disk shader cache for Mesa, albeit focused for now on the Intel DRI driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice to see somebody finally implement this even though code itself could use some cleanup and code review and perhaps rebasing to keep the commit log clean.
    Anyways, can't argue with results, dota2 game load seems to be much faster.

Comment

"revived" suggests it was dead. but it wasn't

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
        "revived" suggests it was dead. but it wasn't
        Never let the facts stand in the way of a good headline

Comment

So, on-disk shader cache is making progress, and it looks like Marek Olšák has been working on a multi-threaded shader compiler as well.

Level load times, and stuttering from draw-time compiles should be making some good progress in the near future.

Combine that with the work that Nicolai has been doing, and there's a lot of fun coming down the pipe for gallium users.

Comment

Wow, looks cool. AMD needs to catch up^^

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
              Wow, looks cool. AMD needs to catch up^^
              Isn't this similar to the AMD improvements lately ( https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...hip-Tess-Lands ) ? At least in terms of improving performance by changing what device does something?

Comment

Originally posted by lunarcloud View Post

Isn't this similar to the AMD improvements lately ( https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...hip-Tess-Lands ) ? At least in terms of improving performance by changing what device does something?
                I don't know, sorry, I'm not very good in graphics terms — the title «off-chip» implies «done not by GPU», e.g. with CPU. So, if they actually meant caching either, that's great.

Btw, I recall, when the article appeared, I even didn't read it because of the title :Ь
                Last edited by Hi-Angel; 21 June 2016, 11:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
                  I don't know, sorry, I'm not very good in graphics terms — the title «off-chip» implies «done not by GPU», e.g. with CPU. So, if they actually meant caching either, that's great.

Btw, I recall, when the article appeared, I even didn't read it because of the title :Ь
                  I believe off-chip in this (tesselation) case refers to off-chip storage (ie in video memory) rather than anything being done by CPU.
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

I believe off-chip in this (tesselation) case refers to off-chip storage (ie in video memory) rather than anything being done by CPU.
                    The 'fast path' is to slow on all Amd Gpus, with all Apis and all drivers. I'm very tired to see games like FFXIII with Gallium Nine to use only one core and 60% efficiency on laptops.

Comment

Working...
                    X