Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dolpin 5.0 Emulator Released, Now Requires OpenGL 3 & 64-bit

Phoronix: Dolpin 5.0 Emulator Released, Now Requires OpenGL 3 & 64-bit

Version 5.0 of the open-source Dolphin Emulator for playing Nintendo GameCube and Wii games on Windows/Linux/OSX is now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

oh wow, rogue squadron II screenshots. So much time has passed.

Comment

Seems Vulkan is at least considered, which is great. I'm still waiting for Mesa 12 to be released so I can try Dolphin with OSVR.

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      oh wow, rogue squadron II screenshots. So much time has passed.
      Not sure if you're being sarcastic (and stupid, considering it's a Gamecube and Wii emulator), or legitimately reminiscing...

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        Not sure if you're being sarcastic (and stupid, considering it's a Gamecube and Wii emulator), or legitimately reminiscing...
        I'm "legitimately reminiscing" here.
        I saw screenshots of rogue squadron II in the release announcement https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2016/06...in-50-release/ and I was "legitimately remembering" the old times when I was playing that (and its prequel, same graphics) and it was new.

Btw, wtf does "legitimately reminiscing" stand for anyway? Is there something like an "illegitimately reminiscing"?

EDIT: just found out a forum article with a Dolphin dev speaking about Vulkan https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Threa...eleased?page=2
        Last edited by starshipeleven; 24 June 2016, 10:32 AM.

Comment

"faster CPU emulation"

Always good to see. Last time I upgraded my computer, I picked a faster dual-core rather than a quad-core (while staying at 65W TDP) because that was the bottleneck with Dolphin.

(Unfortunately, I still can't play the Mario Galaxy ISO I dumped using Wii homebrew because apparently now my GeForce GTX750 is the bottleneck)

Comment

@Michael: typo, "dolpin". @ssolokow - if it's really your own dump, you have a native Wii, what reason is there then to use an emulator?

Comment

Why is emulating Wii so resource intensive? The console's hardware is relatively weak; one would think that even low-end PC builds would be able to handle Wii games. Is it because of architectural differences?

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                @Michael: typo, "dolpin". @ssolokow - if it's really your own dump, you have a native Wii, what reason is there then to use an emulator?
                I could think of a few reasons: gaming at a higher resolution and being able to use different controllers and things like savestates.

Comment

Originally posted by kalrish View Post
                  Why is emulating Wii so resource intensive? The console's hardware is relatively weak; one would think that even low-end PC builds would be able to handle Wii games. Is it because of architectural differences?
                  Same reason why emulating any CPU architecture is resource intensive. Though this ought to answer your question in more depth:

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    Probably not his case given the hardware mentioned, but also portability. Wii/Gamcube aren't exactly portable, a laptop is.

Comment

Working...
                    X