Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Skylake Graphics: Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu 16.04 + Latest Open-Source Driver Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Skylake Graphics: Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu 16.04 + Latest Open-Source Driver Code

Phoronix: Intel Skylake Graphics: Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu 16.04 + Latest Open-Source Driver Code

As part of the celebrations with Phoronix turning 12 years old earlier this month I ran some fun tests looking at the Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu Linux gaming performance with the new NVIDIA Pascal GPUs and also a Windows 10 vs. RadeonSI Gallium3D vs. AMDGPU-PRO comparison on the AMD side. To finish things up, here is a fresh comparison of Intel Skylake HD Graphics under Windows 10 and Ubuntu 16.04.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Xonotic is VERY interesting here...
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

This is pretty disappointing. I honestly expected much better, considering Intel's large and presumably well-paid team. Talos Principle was the only test that showed decent results (the Heaven benchmark is hardly worth noting, considering the unplayable framerates on Windows too).

Comment

Any idea why The Talos Principle / Metro TLL has decent mesa performance while the generic "GPUTest" tests are extremely bad compared to windows?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          This is pretty disappointing. I honestly expected much better, considering Intel's large and presumably well-paid team. Talos Principle was the only test that showed decent results (the Heaven benchmark is hardly worth noting, considering the unplayable framerates on Windows too).
          In fairness, if you look at the corresponding AMD and NVidia Windows/Linux tests the pattern here seems to be as much "Linux game ports are slower" as "drivers are slower". There's enough information across those three reviews for some pretty interesting analysis.
          Last edited by bridgman; 24 June 2016, 12:58 PM.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
            Yes, that's indeed very peculiar, wondering why that is.

Also: this means that the AMDGPU driver stack is getting better, compared to Windows, than the Intel driver stack, compared to Windows?

Granted, the AMD stack has a bit higher deviation, so I suppose they still have to polish some stuff.

This gives an interesting view: AMD on Ubuntu is only 12% slower than on Windows, while Intel is 39% slower than on Windows. Intel's measurements are also more consistent (skew closer to 0 indicates more of a normal distribution).

I think my next computers will be AMD powered...

EDIT: Please notice that the games that ran better under AMDGPU/mesa did not get tested under Intel, so that could give a wrong picture.
            Last edited by rubdos; 25 June 2016, 02:27 AM.

Comment

Off Topic Question!!
              I have never played Metro Last Light Redux with RadeonSI + Mesa Git + Radeon R9 290, the games crashes at the loading screen, the PC freezes and I lost video signal, is a bug of radeonSI?

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

In fairness, if you look at the corresponding AMD and NVidia Windows/Linux tests the pattern here seems to be as much "Linux game ports are slower" as "drivers are slower"...

Yes. I'd like to see tests that compare two things that are actually the same.

Comment

Wow, that was incredibly disappointing. I just got an i3-6100 with the HD 530 graphics and I thought they were decent. I guess they could do much better...

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                    Yes, I wonder why Intel struggles here. The AMD numbers are very different.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is this a regression?

Comment

Working...
                    X