Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Linux Performance-Per-Dollar: What The RX 480 Will Have To Compete Against

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Linux Performance-Per-Dollar: What The RX 480 Will Have To Compete Against

Phoronix: NVIDIA Linux Performance-Per-Dollar: What The RX 480 Will Have To Compete Against

There's a lot of benchmarking going on this weekend at Phoronix in preparation for next week's Radeon RX 480 Linux review. Here are some fresh results on the NVIDIA side showing the current performance-per-dollar data for the NVIDIA Maxwell and Pascal graphics cards for seeing what the RX 480 "Polaris 10" card will be competing against under Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hoped you would exclude F1 2015, as it perform at around 35% level compared to Windows game seems also winner of less performant game case on nVidia too

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It does not make sense to make performance per dollar comparison in that case, as it is known that game perform like shit anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
      I hoped you would exclude F1 2015, as it perform at around 35% level compared to Windows game seems also winner of less performant game case on nVidia too

It does not make sense to make performance per dollar comparison in that case, as it is known that game perform like shit anywhere
      For all my overall tests, I included all the Linux games that I can script/automate well since otherwise people complain about not including relevant games... F1 2015 can be benchmarked fine by PTS.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Unless Nvidia starts significant contributions to nouveau, AMD only has to compete against Intel.

Comment

I guess AMD cut costs by moving their chip design to Shanghai? Just found a reason to buy NV.

AMD’s decision to rename and split the Northern Islands family into two is starting to unravel itself. Polaris 10 (Ellesmere)…

Comment

Considering the performance level should be around GTX 970-980 levels, and it will only cost $200... I think the floors will be cleaned.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
              I guess AMD cut costs by moving their chip design to Shanghai? Just found a reason to buy NV.

AMD’s decision to rename and split the Northern Islands family into two is starting to unravel itself. Polaris 10 (Ellesmere)…
              Hah, that's funny. NVidia and ATI/AMD have both had big R&D centers in Shanghai for a decade or so - we opened in 2006 and they opened in 2007. They were pretty much side-by-side in Zhangjiang High-Tech Industry Park for a while.
              Test signature

Comment

at least for me there is added price/OSS_value where OSS_value=2

i was buying NVidia so far for cost reasons, if 480 really plays out half good as it sounded, i'm so buying it and most probably not just one. i'm just waiting for last piece of the puzzle when they open source vulkan
                Last edited by justmy2cents; 25 June 2016, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                  Hm, maybe we can ask Michael to benchmark which GPU is more "patriotic per rice"

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
                    if 480 really plays out half good as it sounded, i'm so buying it and most probably not just one. i'm just waiting for last piece of the puzzle when they open source vulkan
                    Crossfire on Linux? Will that ever work?

Or maybe you just meant for multiple machines.

Comment

Working...
                    X