No announcement yet.

Place Your Bets Now About The Power Efficiency Of The Radeon RX 480 On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Place Your Bets Now About The Power Efficiency Of The Radeon RX 480 On Linux

Phoronix: Place Your Bets Now About The Power Efficiency Of The Radeon RX 480 On Linux

With doing a lot of tests for next week's Radeon RX 480 Linux review, here are the numbers of some current AMD Radeon and NVIDIA GeForce graphics cards (obviously excluding the RX 480 that's still under NDA) under Linux with the performance-per-Watt...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm thinking it is going to slot in just below the GTX 1070. Between moving to 14 nm and the optimizations that AMD has seem to have made will make a huge difference.

Comment

Very difficult to say, the truth is that RX480 can stay behind Fury in those tests, it depends so much about the driver.

If it was on Windows, most likely that card could place itself in 1st.

Comment

Michael performance-per-dollar is missing

BTW you seem like you gained weight this year. But that's no reason to be like that while holding your RX 480. Just look around you, and see all you have build over the years: Phoronix, openbenchmarking, all those compile servers you have back there. Be proud!

Comment

Originally posted by danieru View Post
          BTW you seem like you gained weight this year. But that's no reason to be like that while holding your RX 480. Just look around you, and see all you have build over the years: Phoronix, openbenchmarking, all those compile servers you have back there. Be proud!
          Stress level at all time high? Yep, check.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by danieru View Post
            Michael performance-per-dollar is missing
            Perf-per-dollar NVIDIA results were published yesterday... AMD Mesa results later today or tomorrow. Didn't have any AMD perf-per-dollar Mesa results to share yet where as my AMDGPU-PRO results are with an unreleased driver so can't show those yet.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Well apparently AMD has been focusing a lot on power efficiency since they introduced the Nano. They claimed recently that the die shrink to 14nm finfet gave them a 1.8x performance vs watt alone and 2.5x with new AMD technology.

So if they aren't lieing or exaggerating. At a minimum they should be roughly on par with the best Nvidia has to offer and at best they should be slightly ahead.

Comment

I expect RX480 to be on top since power efficiency and performance per watt is what Polaris is all about as i understand it.
                With Polaris being an new architecture and with AMD work on former architecture i don't expect anything less then the first place.
                I don't think the drivers should be in such bad shape that i expect it to affect the testing.
                I never want to expect to much from an unreleased hardware but i think AMD may have something that might be just right this time.
                And if only half of the latest rumors and supposed leaks are correct.....

Comment

How about a smile Michael. jk

Comment

Considering almost 980 performance with 110W power draw under load, I'll place it on par if not higher than 1070.
                    Edit: turns out 110W for the chip, indeed 150W for the whole card...
                    Last edited by hugo8621; 30 June 2016, 04:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X