The Updated AMD Polaris Firmware Blobs Needed For RX 480 Support Land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Updated AMD Polaris Firmware Blobs Needed For RX 480 Support Land

Phoronix: The Updated AMD Polaris Firmware Blobs Needed For RX 480 Support Land

One day ahead of the Radeon RX 480 "Polaris" launch, the necessary firmware updates for the production graphics card support have landed in linux-firmware.git...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice! Linus' tree now contains the Polaris drm-fixes too, so kernel 4.7-rc6 will hopefully be sufficient for the RX 480.

But still missing:
    Polaris fixes did not make it into mesa 12.0 branch yet, hopefully there will be a 12.0.0-rc5 with those fixes included.
    xf86-video-amdgpu has not yet seen a new release with Polaris support.

Comment

Can the same disingenuous schill who screams OMG NSA whenever there's a story about Skylake having firmware please come on here to do the exact same thing since obviously AMD fans are 100% objective and strive to be completely fair?

Comment

chuckula I don't know which threads you read, but the proprietary amdgpu firmware was pointed out in the previous thread on the RX 480 announcement at E3.

Proprietary firmware is a serious concern to some people and their reasoning is sound from what I can tell. Not everybody needs to agree with them or share their concerns against proprietary software though.

Comment

Thanks for stating the exact time tomorrow, Michael, I was going to ask!

Comment

I hope the results come out great, I'm having trouble keeping a optimistic or pessimistic opinion. I really don't want to be disappointed but I don't want to set the bar too high to begin with.

I do look forward to the day I can move from a 970 to a GPU that my HDMI-1 will wake up from properly without crashing my Gnome Session. Not to mention the graphics corruptions and lack of Plymouth starting up and shutting down take off the professional polish of my Linux box.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
              Can the same disingenuous schill who screams OMG NSA whenever there's a story about Skylake having firmware please come on here to do the exact same thing since obviously AMD fans are 100% objective and strive to be completely fair?
              This is a GPU, not a CPU that also records all you say awaiting for a "wakeup windows" to power on the pc or something.

I really hope Zen does not do these kinds of shit, but it isn't terribly better than intel in openness of their firmwares.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
                Where do you think those shills come from? They've been harassing the AMD threads for years.

Comment

I love the idea that microcode loaded into the chip is dark and sinister while the same microcode built into the chip is all pink kittens and sparkly ponies.
                  Last edited by bridgman; 28 June 2016, 07:41 PM.
                  Test signature

Comment

Sorry, I posted this in the other thread on accident, but Is there any way to get OpenCL 2.0 working with these, or with any of the newer AMD drivers beyond fglrx?

Comment

Working...
                    X