Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pitivi 0.96 Released With Proxy Editing Support

Phoronix: Pitivi 0.96 Released With Proxy Editing Support

Pitivi 0.96 has been released as the first major update to this GNOME-aligned open-source video editor since the v0.95 release last November...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Anyone using this?
    I sometimes pull video off dvcam (firewire), but it's been a few years. Seems KINO has finished.
    Last edited by suberimakuri; 30 June 2016, 10:10 PM. Reason: added firewire

Comment

I hadn't tried pitivi for some time. Just tried it on fedora 24 (pitivi version 0.95-3). It immediately seg faulted on clicking new.

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

I've made a few small-medium sized projects in Pitivi. I find it deceptively powerful. Once you get the hang of it, you can be really productive despite the simple looking interface. It's been a long time since I've used it, but at the time most of the issues I had were due to the files. I think Pitivi is very dependent on the Gstreamer stuff for this. I had good luck by simply remuxing my source files into mkv containers.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            The huge addition to Pitivi 0.96 is proxy editing support. Proxy editing comes down to interacting with lower-quality video clips to allow for a more responsive user experience while when it comes to rendering the final cut that it automatically switches over to using the original, full-quality media content. Proxy editing will improve performance particularly for lower-end systems, improve the stability of this non-linear video editor, and other benefits.
            This is false. The proxy files allowed by Pitivi are high-quality proxies preserving most of the video quality of the original, they are not low-quality proxies. They are used to work around formats and containers which are not well supported or not friendly for video editing like MPEGTS.
            Last edited by aleb; 01 July 2016, 01:45 AM.

Comment

They plan to add a low quality proy option at a later stage, for is is as above.

Comment

Originally posted by BillT View Post
                I hadn't tried pitivi for some time. Just tried it on fedora 24 (pitivi version 0.95-3). It immediately seg faulted on clicking new.
                No software is bug-free, you can't expect developers to test every corner case now. /s

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

No software is bug-free, you can't expect developers to test every corner case now. /s
                  Still you can expect that the package maintainer tests their packages and notices a segfault on startup (provided that this is not due some strange configuration).

The good news is that one of the Pitivi developers filed a bug for Fedora ( https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1351836 ). Seems like this is a problem with Pitivi 0.95 and GTK 3.20.

Also I read that Pitivi switched to FlatPack so interested users should be able to get the latest version straight from upstream :-)

Comment

I think Pitivi realy should look at its priorites :/

I would like the following features:

MacOS, Windows builds - Sorry but I use windows so often and I dont know why there are no windows builds because I love GNOME software

Less crashes ( the thing wiht the new button , lol) I mean if you look at reviewers on Youtube, or the Linux Action Show - A lot of people say that they never even got Pitivi to work one time, if it wasnt also preincluded with the distro.

More work on the base main features, and not stuff like Proxy Editing, what isnt interesting to any normal base users at all.

Currently I am using DaVinci Resolve (theres also a linux version of the pro version) , and it does its job extremly well.

Comment

Working...
                    X