Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kodi 17 Alpha 2 Released

Phoronix: Kodi 17 Alpha 2 Released

The second alpha release of Kodi 17 Krypton is now available for testing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Cool, thanks for letting us know. I only started using Kodi late last year and I love it.

Comment

And it drops over 50% of all Android devices

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
        And it drops over 50% of all Android devices
        welcome to Android world.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          welcome to Android world.
          No, its the decision from the kodi devs to drop the support for all pre android 5 versions. And and the problem by this decision is that android 4.x is more used as 5 and 6 together.
          Last edited by Nille; 02 July 2016, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
            No, its the decision from the kodi devs to drop the support for all pre android 5 versions.
            If the features they need aren't in pre 5.0, it would be dishonest to make a Kodi 17 without them for older Androids.

They switched to the unified MediaCodec system of Android, that is fully fledged only starting at 5.0.
            That's not eye candy, it abstracts all kinds of shitty hardware acceleration used in the differen SoCs, so that you can just offload to that that will than take care of offload on the right hardware.

And and the problem by this decision is that android 4.x is more used as 5 and 6 together.
            Kodi development is mostly for OS that don't have these stupid restrictions, so their team cannot just double and keep porting Kodi to all custom shit Android runs on. (cough Amlogic cough)

The positive news is that MediaCodec is now a standard, and is one less reason they will have to drop support of older Android versions.

Comment

I think there's a fork specifically targeting android.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                I think there's a fork specifically targeting android.
                That's from a guy that targets mostly NVIDIA shield, and also secondarily some Amlogic SoCs.
                Semper Media Center (SPMC in short) is a android-minded fork of Kodi, by the former Kodi android maintainer, Koying

And also happens to be ex-maintainer of Android version of kodi.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
                  Cool, thanks for letting us know. I only started using Kodi late last year and I love it.
                  Can back that. Better performing Kodi is always cool, especially for these that use a Raspberry PI 2

Comment

Originally posted by rubdos View Post

Can back that. Better performing Kodi is always cool, especially for these that use a Raspberry PI 2
                    Eh, I can stream rips of my DVDs to Kodi 16.1 on my Raspberry Pi 2, but it flat out won't play rips of my Blu Rays in mkv (Matroska) h.264 - even from local USB storage.

I whined about it in another thread and starshipeleven recommended some alternatives I'm considering: https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...234#post881234

Comment

Working...
                    X