Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 5.7 Due Today, A Video About It & More

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 5.7 Due Today, A Video About It & More

KDE Plasma 5.7 is scheduled to be released today...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Icon tinting and per application volume controls are awesome.
    And if they really fixed multi-monotor restore, that would be a dream (I'll believe it when I see it).
    However, afaik, there are still some notable fixes waiting for KF 5.24. Once we get that, too, the whole experience will be a whole lot better.

Comment

This is just awesome! Thanks for the video ^_^

Comment

Indeed, that should put the volume applet on par with the old Veromix addon.
        And I didn't know they were in the business of making release videos

Comment

I'm excited that mouse trackpads got more wayland attention. That was one of the main issues I had with switching to wayland on KDE. I'll try giving wayland another shot after this update. The new volume settings are also very nice. That was one of very few features Windows did better than Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
            And I didn't know they were in the business of making release videos
            Creator is the person behind the KDEOK news account on Google+: https://plus.google.com/+KDEOKK/posts
            Some KDE guy was impressed with a video review of Plasma 5.4 and asked if KDEOK wanted to make release videos.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post

Creator is the person behind the KDEOK news account on Google+: https://plus.google.com/+KDEOKK/posts
              Some KDE guy was impressed with a video review of Plasma 5.4 and asked if KDEOK wanted to make release videos.
              Come to think of it it's a screen recording with a voice over. But way, way better at highlighting features that your typical release notes..

Comment

Is HiDPI support any better? On both of Fedora and Kubuntu as well as KDE neon, HiDPI support was so bad that I had to switch to another DE. Both of Gnome and Unity support HiDPI very well. After many years of having Gnome abandoned, I started using it again a few months ago with Fedora and I was very pleased with it.

I wish KDE was as polished as Gnome and had all the foundations in order. I like Dolphin and some of Plasma's features but lack of solid HiDPI support and presence of some cosmetic bugs have made it impossible for me to use it as my DE.
                Last edited by behrangsa; 05 July 2016, 11:14 PM.

Comment

HiDPI support is almost perfect since QT 5.6, which problems do you have?
                  ## VGA ##
                  AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                  Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                    HiDPI support is almost perfect since QT 5.6, which problems do you have?
                    A couple of the problems that I can still remember are:

* In Gnome and Unity scaling factor is detected and set automatically (e.g. for a 4K 15" HiDPI display to 2x) after installation however on the KDE neon version that I used it was kept as 1x and I had to manually set it to 2x
                    * Then setting the scaling factor to 2x leads some controls (e.g. buttons, scrollbars, etc.) in a dialog box to get squeezed and overlap each other
                    * The task bar's height should be twice as large when the display is HiDPI but out of the box the height is still identical to a non-HiDPI display

Also IIRC, GTK based apps (e.g. Firefox) were not following HiDPI settings properly.

If I have some free time I will record a video to show the problems.

Comment

Working...
                    X