Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASUS MG28UQ 4K 28-Inch Adaptive-Sync Monitor

Phoronix: ASUS MG28UQ 4K 28-Inch Adaptive-Sync Monitor

The past few weeks I have been testing out the ASUS MG28UQ 4K display as the monitor on my main daily workstation. This ~$500 monitor has been working out well and also supports extra features like Adaptive-Sync once the open-source Linux graphics drivers catch up.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I have a hard time believing $500 for a TN-Film monitor (4k or not) is a good deal. I'd love to have 4k on my desktop, but Idk is 28" is enough or it needs to be a little larger. I have to check some out in store, I guess.

Comment

Regarding USB plugs.. forget about the old bulky type A, it should have an assortment of type C sockets sticking out in every direction, including out the front in that massive bezel, or down. I'm personally not fond of out the side, since that results in ports being blocked by the adjacent monitor.

Definitely agree that the "2 plugs" usb hubs on monitors are pretty close to pointless. If they're going to put in a usb hub, it should be significant, like 16 ports. Especially since we are now dealing the USB 3.x, which can transfer data fast enough to make that useful.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
        I have a hard time believing $500 for a TN-Film monitor (4k or not) is a good deal.
        But, but.... it says "Supreme Gaming Experience" on its base

Something tells me that in a few years you won't be able to buy a PC or any accessory for it that doesn't look like it fell off of Optimus Prime's ass.

Comment

I'm interested to hear how well using linux-friendly color calibration like the ColorHug is on monitor reviews. I know it's not something with hard numbers like benchmarks; just an idea.

Comment

Damn, my dream monitor... almost, if it only had more color accuracy I'd be sold, don't wanna be drawing on a TN panel.... Now that we have colors that stretch near 100% AdobeRGB, that's what I want... Quantum Dot plz.

Comment

Originally posted by tsuru View Post
              I'm interested to hear how well using linux-friendly color calibration like the ColorHug is on monitor reviews. I know it's not something with hard numbers like benchmarks; just an idea.
              Unfortunately I don't own a ColorHug or any other color calibration device, hence why it wasn't tested.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I'm interested in getting myself a 28" 4k monitor but first I would like to know how display scaling works on Ubuntu with Unity. I've heard that text on 28" @ 4k is too small and you'd have to scale to make it more eye-friendly. What is your experience Michael: how is the text size for your eyes and have you tried display scaling on Unity to see whether everything scales nicely or not?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by joh22n View Post
                  I'm interested in getting myself a 28" 4k monitor but first I would like to know how display scaling works on Ubuntu with Unity. I've heard that text on 28" @ 4k is too small and you'd have to scale to make it more eye-friendly. What is your experience Michael: how is the text size for your eyes and have you tried display scaling on Unity to see whether everything scales nicely or not?

Thanks!
                  I recently got a 4K display to go along with my new RX 480, and the text size isn't that bad on a 28" monitor. I occasionally need to squint or get closer for smaller text, but overall very usable without scaling. Ubuntu and Unity's scaling works pretty decently as well. Definitely better than Windows 10's LOL.

Buy SAMSUNG U28E590D Black 28" 4K UHD Widescreen LCD/LED Monitor, AMD FreeSync 1ms, 370 cd/m2 DCR Mega Infinity (1000:1), VESA Mountable, HDMI DisplayPort with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

^ Link to the monitor if you are interested, no USB ports and no speakers, but I like the design better than the Asus.

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post

I recently got a 4K display to go along with my new RX 480, and the text size isn't that bad on a 28" monitor. I occasionally need to squint or get closer for smaller text, but overall very usable without scaling. Ubuntu and Unity's scaling works pretty decently as well. Definitely better than Windows 10's LOL.

Buy SAMSUNG U28E590D Black 28" 4K UHD Widescreen LCD/LED Monitor, AMD FreeSync 1ms, 370 cd/m2 DCR Mega Infinity (1000:1), VESA Mountable, HDMI DisplayPort with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

^ Link to the monitor if you are interested, no USB ports and no speakers, but I like the design better than the Asus.
                    Thank you for the info!

Comment

Working...
                    X