Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Hat Is Working To Improve Linux Switchable Graphics

Phoronix: Red Hat Is Working To Improve Linux Switchable Graphics

Hans de Goede of Red Hat has been tasked with making improvements to Linux's switchable graphics support, namely for laptops with integrated and discrete GPUs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Finally! I believe all projects, both Bumblebee and Prime haven't changed much in a long time. Hopefully other DE will benefit from this, not only Gnome.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord_Phoenix View Post
      Finally! I believe all projects, both Bumblebee and Prime haven't changed much in a long time. Hopefully other DE will benefit from this, not only Gnome.
      I suppose there will be a bunch of kernel/X.org/Wayland work in it, and less Gnome work. I suppose other DE's will trivially implement it. Let's hope

Comment

"For years there's been various developers working on Linux switchable graphics and features like DRI PRIME, but to this day the support remains a great deal behind what's offered by Windows and OS X."
        Well, does OS X support that?

Comment

This would make it interesting to buy discrete graphics computers for me... Now I'll have to wait for a ThinkPad with AMD Polaris discrete graphics... Damn.

Comment

I'm hoping he sorts out fencing on the i915 kernel driver, after that there will be no tearing when using DRI_PRIME

Comment

In hope someone does not make a laptop with three graphics (one iGPU from one vendor and two offloading dGPUs from second and third vendor)

That all should work fine together and burn fine with Vulkan

Comment

Finally.

Comment

Intel integrated graphics has good performance.
                  I would rather have a laptop powered exclusively by Intel graphics than one with dedicated graphics from AMD or Nvidia.

I have a Haswell, and the GPU performance is decent. For normal desktop usage and work its fully adequate. But even for light gaming it works alright.
                  I play Portal 2 and it works great. Since there has been Broadwell and Skylake with further graphics improvements. Around the corner is Kaby Lake with further improvements.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    Intel integrated graphics has good performance.
                    I would rather have a laptop powered exclusively by Intel graphics than one with dedicated graphics from AMD or Nvidia.
                    You can.

This article is about switchable graphics.

Comment

Working...
                    X