Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Java Training Wheels" Joins The GNU Project

Phoronix: "Java Training Wheels" Joins The GNU Project

Java Training Wheels has become the newest GNU package...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why would you do this to java? I find using words to start and end a function to be obnoxious in languages like bash.
    I learned some basic C at 12 years old and HTML a year or two later. So, kids don't really need it, so who is this complication of the language even for?

Comment

wth lol?

Comment

Originally posted by lunarcloud View Post
        Why would you do this to java?
        Anyone who done substantial work in Java will know the answer is: "Because Java deserves it".

I find using words to start and end a function to be obnoxious in languages like bash.
        It's an ALGOL joke. Look at the for loop. It's clearly all a "Java is the new ALGOL \ Cobol" parody.

I learned some basic C at 12 years old and HTML a year or two later. So, kids don't really need it, so who is this complication of the language even for?
        Dude. It's a parody on the usage of Java as a first "learning language" in academia... Look at the dev's site in the tutorial and it will become clear he's parodying the OO model and the stupid animal-class-inherited-by-dog-and-cat book examples.

It's tongue-in-cheek criticism of Java.

Comment

Oh, cute, it's yet another script language! Whatever happened to BASIC?

Comment

c117152 are you sure it is a parody? Looking at their website, seems to me they are quite serious about what they do. And, if that's the case, I agree their work seems a joke anyway, but I fear it's not intended to be.

EDIT: No, you're absolutely right, it is plain criticism. What a big work anyway only to say "Java is crap as far as learning is the culprit".
            Last edited by lucrus; 08 July 2016, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Java may be everywhere, but I think it's a terrible choice for a first learning language. I think if you're going to learn software development, you should either start right at the bare metal - C and Assembler - or a high level language with a REPL and simple syntax and features like Scheme or Racket. Honorable mention goes to Python, which really isn't that simple or consistent but has a gajillion beginner tutorials, books, and resources available.

Javac, classpaths, IDEs, {}()!<>; is all too much extra baggage for someone totally new to programming to wrestle with. I work on it now - I don't love it, but it pays the bills - but I'm glad I didn't start on it.

Comment

Yea. A parody. Albeit too subtle for my personal taste.
                And, of course, both Java and Java Training Wheels are nowhere near as beautiful and concise as TrumpScript.

This is what my first TrumpScript application looks like, for one:

make immigrants 20000000
                make americans 10000000

We have a country where to assimilate you have to speak English.
                The Chinese speak nothing but lies.
                Mexican rapists.
                Islamic terrorists.
                The media spreads lies.
                More immigrants than americans.
                But look at me. I came to this election to make guys believe again.
                Believe in fact.
                if, all of us real lies the light; : say "VOTE TRUMP" !
                but I know we should be free
                else the result will be bad: all the work of Ronald
                Reagan was for nothing.
                So this election say "Hello World" say "TRUMP FOR PRESIDENT"!
                Say it with me, "I don't like China!";
                Tell reporter to "Shut up, loser!"
                America is great.
                I'm switching to TrumpScript full time now, writing apps for Windows 8.1.

TrumpScript has beautiful, big hands and a daughter so hot, TrumpScript would bang it.
                America is great!

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post
                  Dude. It's a parody on the usage of Java as a first "learning language" in academia... Look at the dev's site [...]
                  It's tongue-in-cheek criticism of Java.
                  Ah, Didn't bother going to its website. Michael's news announcement didn't make it clear it was satire. Also, why would the GNU project be interested in gag software?

Comment

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post
                    Yea. A parody. Albeit too subtle for my personal taste.
                    And, of course, both Java and Java Training Wheels are nowhere near as beautiful and concise as TrumpScript.

This is what my first TrumpScript application looks like, for one:

I'm switching to TrumpScript full time now, writing apps for Windows 8.1.

TrumpScript has beautiful, big hands and a daughter so hot, TrumpScript would bang it.
                    America is great!
                    Hmm, we now know what debianxfce is made of, he is a chatbot written in TrumpScript.

Comment

Working...
                    X