No announcement yet.

Mesa 12.0 Released With OpenGL 4.3 Support, Intel Vulkan & Many Other Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 12.0 Released With OpenGL 4.3 Support, Intel Vulkan & Many Other Features

Phoronix: Mesa 12.0 Released With OpenGL 4.3 Support, Intel Vulkan & Many Other Features

While it's coming late, the huge Mesa 12.0 release is now official! Mesa 12.0 is easily one of the biggest updates to this important open-source user-space OpenGL driver stack in quite some time and will offer much better support and features especially for Intel, Radeon, and NVIDIA open-source Linux desktop users/gamers.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow, and then it is there, all of a sudden. I guess I'll wait til the Gentoo devs declare this or a following bugfix release as stable. But having chances of OpenGL support 4.5 around september sound really promising. Would be more up to par with the blob(s) and also make full use of the HW's capabilities.
    Kudos to all the developers involved!
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

I've been really happily using this pre-release on Kubuntu on my NUC5i5RYH to play Bioshock Infinite.
      It's been like Christmas thanks to all the mesa devs!

Comment

Tumbleweed got mesa 12 rc5 some days ago
        Was that the last rc? Seems to be stable though at least for gcn 1.0 and the 2 indy games i played til then....
        Anyone seeing regressions already like with some past releases and radeonsi?

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
          Anyone seeing regressions already like with some past releases and radeonsi?
          i am using unreleased mesa, llvm and kernel on gcn 1.0
          no regressions, but not much speedups either
          waiting for shader cache, i guess

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
            Wow, and then it is there, all of a sudden. I guess I'll wait til the Gentoo devs declare this or a following bugfix release as stable. But having chances of OpenGL support 4.5 around september sound really promising. Would be more up to par with the blob(s) and also make full use of the HW's capabilities.
            Kudos to all the developers involved!
            just use the mesa-9999 ebuild

Comment

Any changes for i915?

Comment

Originally posted by mlau View Post

just use the mesa-9999 ebuild
                Yes, I know about it, but I wanted to wait until the devs declare it to be sane and stable (or at least ~arch). I am using my machines for productive things and not as a pure testing playground so I wanted to save me the worst fallout of a bleeding edge release.
                Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael View Post
                  Any changes for i915?
                  Did you read the article? From your user name, I'm guessing no.

Basically two major changes:
                  -mainline vulkan support
                  -opengl 4.3 and gles 3.1 for Broadwell and newer iGPU's

plus various fixes

Haswell and older are still 3.3 for now but they're working on it.
                  4.5 will likely be coming for the September mesa release.

Edit: If you're talking about regressions, that's a good question, i would like to know that too.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

Does Vulkan work on a Bay Trail CPU? It has a tiny IvyBridge-like GPU.
                    That's a good question; IIRC I don't think the bay trail processor was ever really supported properly.

Comment

Working...
                    X