Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skype Claims "Exciting" Linux News Next Week

Phoronix: Skype Claims "Exciting" Linux News Next Week

It's been a while since Microsoft-owned Skype last did a serious update to their Linux client, but it looks like that could be changing.....

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

They're probably going to say they are dropping linux client because they plan to buy NextCloud instead.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if they drop the linux desktop client and just make the web client the recommended one for linux users by making it actually work in firefox and chrome.

Comment

Michael hasn't covered this, but phone calls in Skype Web client now work in Google Chrome and Chome OS. This happened yesterday. Video calls don't yet work, but I guess they will given the fact that Edge allows this.

So the big news is that Microsoft deprecates the Linux client and invites everyone to switch to their cloud based web Skype client.

Good bye complete conversation history (Skype for web allows to dig through the last 30 days only). Hello, complete surveillance. Not only they can now access your conversation history, but your sent/received files as well.

Comment

The Linux client is so outdated its very crappy and not so useful. When people show images, it shows as a link instead of a image.

I use the Skype web client as a pinned tab.

Comment

The banner tells you exactly what's going to happen. They'll release some new emoticons. This is also exactly what many people these days would consider "exciting news".

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
              Michael hasn't covered this, but phone calls in Skype Web client now work in Google Chrome and Chome OS. This happened yesterday. Video calls don't yet work, but I guess they will given the fact that Edge allows this.

So the big news is that Microsoft deprecates the Linux client and invites everyone to switch to their cloud based web Skype client.

Good bye complete conversation history (Skype for web allows to dig through the last 30 days only). Hello, complete surveillance. Not only they can now access your conversation history, but your sent/received files as well.
              Lmao, you act like they wouldn't log it anyway. Unless it's encrypted end to end (client side, not server side), you'll never have privacy.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post
                Lmao, you act like they wouldn't log it anyway. Unless it's properly opensourced, you'll never have privacy.
                fixed.

Comment

"Exciting news for Linux users."
                  only exciting thing i could think off is them dropping skype completely

Comment

Originally posted by faildozer View Post
                    I wouldn't be surprised if they drop the linux desktop client and just make the web client the recommended one for linux users by making it actually work in firefox and chrome.
                    I'd actually like this... you need to be online to use Skype anyways so why even have a local app. I'm all for local apps in general, but if it means one version that has all the features and works everywhere, it would be a lot easier to maintain and improve

edit: I should mention the only reason i care about skype at all is I need it at work and it doesn't work on my linux or chromebook machines. I have to use android to go to my vendor's meetings.

Comment

Working...
                    X