Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wayland Founder Kristian Høgsberg Is The Latest Open-Source Developer Leaving Intel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland Founder Kristian Høgsberg Is The Latest Open-Source Developer Leaving Intel

Phoronix: Wayland Founder Kristian Høgsberg Is The Latest Open-Source Developer Leaving Intel

Sadly, another blow to report on with regard to Intel's open-source efforts... Just days after reporting on Intel losing its chief Linux/open-source technologist, Dirk Hohndel, there's another high profile departure in the open-source world. Today marks the last day at Intel for Wayland founder Kristian Høgsberg...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I can only imagine what the environment is like on the inside over there.

I'll go out on a branch and make a prediction: Intel is either going to buy or partner w/ AMD's RTG.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium

You mean like AMD is licensing Hyper-Threading for _ZEN? so in the end Intel is maybe licensing the Graphics Core Next (GCN) 1.3+ architecture ?
      AMD doesn't need to license hyper-threading.

Comment

A quick scroll through Kristian's Twitter and 5 minutes of research yields the impression that quite a few people at Intel were not happy about their CEO proposing a Trump fundraiser. Sometimes it's more about leaving where you are than it is about finding somewhere new.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium

they did license it in fact.
          Where did you get this information? As far as I'm aware, AMD is doing their own SMT (Simultaneous-Multi-Threading) implementation. That's all "Hyperthreading" is, an SMT implementation. AMD licensing Hyperthreading would be like NVidia licensing AMD's vulkan implementation in their driver. Not only is it not necessary as Vulkan is a free spec, it wouldn't make sense as it wouldn't go with their architecture at all.

Also, if we're going to mention licenses, let's not forget Intel licenses the x86_64 64-bit architecture from AMD...

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post

Where did you get this information? As far as I'm aware, AMD is doing their own SMT (Simultaneous-Multi-Threading) implementation. That's all "Hyperthreading" is, an SMT implementation. AMD licensing Hyperthreading would be like NVidia licensing AMD's vulkan implementation in their driver. Not only is it not necessary as Vulkan is a free spec, it wouldn't make sense as it wouldn't go with their architecture at all.

Also, if we're going to mention licenses, let's not forget Intel licenses the x86_64 64-bit architecture from AMD...
            I guess he is just pointing out that Intel and AMD have a cross licensing going on, which, as far as I read in the media when it was signed, is not limited to certain technologies, but involves all of processor technologies. That does not mean they are going to use the technology from "the other side" in their products. AFAIK it is mostly important, as you mentioned, because Intel owns the x86 IP, while AMD owns the AMD64 IP, so they are forced to licence to each other or neither side could produce modern AMD64 CPUs any more.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
              AMD and Intel have a cross licensing scheme where anything one does the other has access to. It has been quite beneficial to both companies.

If AMD have leveraged some of intels SMP work, it would not surprise me.

Comment

Originally posted by Geopirate View Post
                A quick scroll through Kristian's Twitter and 5 minutes of research yields the impression that quite a few people at Intel were not happy about their CEO proposing a Trump fundraiser. Sometimes it's more about leaving where you are than it is about finding somewhere new.
                My thoughts exactly.

Comment

I think it has more to do with Intel scaling back their Android development.
                  Android was once a big part of Intel's plans in mobile devices, but the company is paying much less attention to the OS.

They won't be needing those engineering resources then, and Chrome OS alone probably won't justify having that many people on the payroll.

Comment

Originally posted by Geopirate View Post
                    One reason more to switch to Zen if this thing is competitive

Comment

Working...
                    X