Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The State Of Debian's Paid Long Term Support Project

Phoronix: The State Of Debian's Paid Long Term Support Project

Started a few years back was Debian's Long-Term Support (LTS) project whereby releases were given five years of security support and this would also allow users to skip a release. This project, which is financed by sponsors, continues to make progress and provide for a more secure and longer-supported Debian...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Any forum members using Debian LTS and what is your reasoning for using it?

Comment

Yes wheezy webserver with dot deb 5.6 updates.
      Providing security okay there's nothing ground breaking requiring upgrade to Jessie AFAICS.
      ​​​​
      I plan to upgrade to stretch when released.
      Current cms does not support php7 but should within stretch lifetime.

Comment

Originally posted by My8th View Post
        Hey boye, fglrx work there for HD2/3/4xxx hardware and is compatible with steam, no joke

With this, one can have supported distro which can extend fglrx working for 11 years old hardware

One year more then nvidia

No i don't use it
        Last edited by dungeon; 09 July 2016, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by My8th View Post
          This LTS project is for companies mostly. Servers and all that. The fact that this LTS project has paid sponsors should hint at the fact that there are companies that like to keep their servers not-terribly-up-to-date, but still safe.

After all, as long as a server is safe and is doing its job you don't really care if it is running HORRIBLY outdated software.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
            Hey boye, fglrx work there for HD2/3/4xxx hardware and is compatible with steam, no joke

With this, one can have supported distro which can extend fglrx working for 11 years old hardware

One year more then nvidia

No i don't use it
            fglrx? Lolwhut? Kill that shit with fire plz.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              fglrx? Lolwhut? Kill that shit with fire plz.
              I am not that much powerful Users are free to use what they want anyway

Some people likes Windows 10 (less then 3 weeks left for free upgrade ) but some stand still even with WIndows XP ... so this is sort of possible to do with Linux too... Here is example how, so AMD dropped support 4 years ago for that hardware, but if someone use some other or this older distro he can still use that driver even today for 2 or even more years

It would be interesting, to fire up some old hardware install this lts, fire up fglrx-legacy-driver there and compare it with some rolling distro and current mesa If i have that hardware i would probably do it
              Last edited by dungeon; 10 July 2016, 06:44 AM.

Comment

AMD dropped support 4 years ago for that hardware, but if someone use some other or this older distro he can still use that driver even today for 2 or even more years
                You probably know this already, but AMD didn't "drop support", the open driver has feature parity (apart from crossfire, shitty S-Video ports and useless workstation features, maybe) and probably vastly better performance by now, so it became the official legacy driver. It's not like on windows like the driver for older cards won't install even with hacks because win10 has dropped a legacy driver interface needed by it.

It would be interesting, to fire up some old hardware install this lts, fire up fglrx-legacy-driver there and compare it with some rolling distro and current mesa If i have that hardware i would probably do it
                Yeah, it would be interesting.
                The open driver should outperform the closed, as most of the shared things are improved quite a bit since the days those cards were new.

I have a x1300 (series before the HD2xxx), and apart from its S-Video interface that is very meh (thankfully is a long-dead standard) it is still in service in my KVM box as passthrough GPU for linux VMs as the open driver runs it perfectly fine.

Sadly it is a low-end HTPC card so it was very weak in 3D applications even when new, benching on it is a bit nonsense.

Comment

I know the story, but when it comes to GL perf and features... it never had performancy nor feature parity, particulary across of all supported and then dropped asics and particulary not on moment of dropping, that was always painful for some (if not many) people It is like, this perf on these cases and like of that perf on these cases, you might found one win or few win scenarios for opensource driver, but mostly - not really It is not better really, but people tend to forget... so it is what it is situation

"Our customers use Compiz" - dunno who said that decade ago, some opensource developer
                  Last edited by dungeon; 10 July 2016, 10:17 AM.

Comment

I know the story, but when it comes to GL perf and features... it never had performancy nor feature parity, particulary across of all supported and then dropped asics and particulary not on moment of dropping, that was always painful for some (if not many) people It is like, this perf on these cases and like of that perf on these cases, you might found one win or few win scenarios for opensource driver, but mostly - not really It is not better really, but people tend to forget... so it is what it is situation

"Our customers use Compiz" - dunno who said that decade ago, some opensource developer
                    I don't understand? That hardware has been feature complete for some time now. Basically there is nothing those cards can do that the open source driver doesn't support. It's been a while now.

And as for Catalyst's OpenGL performance, Benchmarks speak louder than your words. It's so bad. Horrible. (The OSS drivers matching them or beating them while adhering to standards and with no binary profile support is damn cool.)
                    Last edited by duby229; 10 July 2016, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X