Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snapdragon 821 Launched, Tops Out At 2.4GHz

Phoronix: Snapdragon 821 Launched, Tops Out At 2.4GHz

Qualcomm announced the Snapdragon 821 SoC this morning as its fastest processor to date and comes out slightly ahead of the Snapdragon 820...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What is the point if it doesn't end up in accessible hardware. We could really use a compact board running Linux powered by this chip. The problem is I doubt it will ever happen. The industry could really use a very small form factor standardized board.

Comment

I wonder, is the power increase based on an 820 overclock, thus drawinh more power -> eat more battery. Or is it innovation at play?

Comment

Almost as exciting as an Intel launch

Comment

I wonder what else is new in the Snapdragon 821 besides it being faster. Maybe that is the only thing.

I hope the upcoming Snapdragon 830 have support for the European satellite navigation system Galileo, and maybe 8K like for docking to a TV.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            I hope the upcoming Snapdragon 830 have support for the European satellite navigation system Galileo, and maybe 8K like for docking to a TV.
            I very much doubt anyone will target features for 8K TV compatibility for a long time to come. A very low percentage of people even have a 4K TV at this point, not helped by the lack of 4K media, 8K is a LONG way from mainstream!

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              I very much doubt anyone will target features for 8K TV compatibility for a long time to come. A very low percentage of people even have a 4K TV at this point, not helped by the lack of 4K media, 8K is a LONG way from mainstream!

Comment

Originally posted by Kendji View Post
                I wonder, is the power increase based on an 820 overclock, thus drawinh more power -> eat more battery. Or is it innovation at play?
                I don't know about "innovation but I guarantee these are, at a min, better binned. At most, they include tweaks to the layout and refinements that take the process into account.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
                  What is the point if it doesn't end up in accessible hardware. We could really use a compact board running Linux powered by this chip. The problem is I doubt it will ever happen. The industry could really use a very small form factor standardized board.
                  Like 96boards?

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post

Like 96boards?
                    I think its more about the availability of just the SOC in small numbers for a guaranteed long period of time and the available documentation. Would be great to just go to sparkfun, adafruit, digikey, mouser, ... and order one with complete documentation for a period of 10-25 Years. That would encourage bigger companies to use them in their industrial products, where more money might be invested to open source driver development just to be able to use the current kernel versions without much patching.

Mobile phone socs aren't mainlined much, because documentation is sparse, they are only available in big numbers and/or for a short period of time ~1-5 years. Look at the Freescale IMX6 that has complete Linux mainline support, including the Vivante GPU and you can order them in small numbers, are available for a long period and are pretty well documented.

Comment

Working...
                    X