Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More NVIDIA CUDA Benchmarks With Blender Cycles Engine

Phoronix: More NVIDIA CUDA Benchmarks With Blender Cycles Engine

Yesterday I published Blender Cycles Render Engine Benchmarks With NVIDIA CUDA On Linux numbers that included the GTX 1000 and GTX 900 series for the Blender 3D modeling software now that there's an automated test profile for Blender via OpenBenchmarking.org for the Phoronix Test Suite. Here are more Blender CUDA benchmarks from a more diverse range of NVIDIA hardware...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So, I just tried to run the Blender benchmark against my R9 380 with OpenCL and it is running on the CPU and not the GPU...

My Setup is below.

Blender 2.77a:
    pts/blender-1.0.0
    System Test Configuration
    1: BMW27
    2: Classroom
    3: Fishy Cat
    4: Pabellon Barcelona
    5: Test All Options
    Blend File: 4

1: OpenCL
    2: CUDA
    3: Test All Options
    Compute: 1
    System Information

Hardware:
    Processor: Intel Core i7-2600 @ 3.80GHz (8 Cores), Motherboard: MSI H61M-P21 (MS-7680) v3.0, Chipset: Intel 2nd Generation Core Family DRAM, Memory: 8192MB, Disk: 256GB Samsung SSD 840 + 1000GB Western Digital WD10EACS-00Z + 500GB SAMSUNG HD501LJ, Graphics: AMD Radeon R9 380 4096MB (980/1475MHz), Audio: Intel 6 /C200, Monitor: MW221 + IBM L191p, Network: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411

Software:
    OS: Ubuntu 14.04, Kernel: 3.16.1-031601-generic (x86_64), Desktop: KDE 4.14.13, Display Server: X Server 1.15.1, Display Driver: fglrx 15.30.3, OpenGL: 4.3.13416, OpenCL: OpenCL 2.0 AMD-APP (1912.5), Compiler: GCC 4.8.5, File-System: btrfs, Screen Resolution: 2960x1050
    and I have a fully loaded CPU but GPU load in 0% according to "aticonfig --odgc --odgt" (and radeontop)

Is there something I am missing?

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
      Is there something I am missing?
      The fact that CUDA is not OpenCL and is NVIDIA-only maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        There IS openCL in blender (cycles) its just mutch less developed and optimized vs. the cuda backend.

Comment

Originally posted by IM back! View Post
          There IS openCL in blender (cycles) its just mutch less developed and optimized vs. the cuda backend.
          More like highly experimental AND not very developed at all.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            Maybe you should re-read my post and see that I explicitly chose OpenCL to run on my AMD hardware?

Comment

So 960 is no better than 950. GTX 1070 would be my worthwhile upgrade over my GTX 960, but I am holding on to my 960 for about a year or two due to my income and will be training to be a Desktop Support Technician next year so I can get a good-paying job...

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
                Maybe you should re-read my post and see that I explicitly chose OpenCL to run on my AMD hardware?
                Maybe you should know that Cycles engine is developed 99% for CUDA, while the OpenCL is "experimental" as btrfs raid 5/6 is.

Comment

Working...
                X