Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Weeks Until Likely Updates To OpenGL, Vulkan

Phoronix: Two Weeks Until Likely Updates To OpenGL, Vulkan

There is less than two weeks to go until SIGGRAPH 2016 kicks off in Anaheim, California...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What do I hope to see added? Hopefully, nothing except maybe a few easily implemented extensions for OpenGL 4.6 and continued point releases for Vulkan.

Comment

I just hope they won't switch to Google Chrome release number scheme

Altough that might help from marketing POV - "Hey, you see this API is better as my number is bigger the yours"
      Last edited by dungeon; 13 July 2016, 12:42 PM.

Comment

I hope they release Vulkan 1.1.0 with full multi GPU support even across vendors. That's the only thing that DX12 has over Vulkan at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
          I hope they release Vulkan 1.1.0 with full multi GPU support even across vendors. That's the only thing that DX12 has over Vulkan at the moment.
          I hope game developers does not use that as primary feature . By making some game only playable or even can't start without multi GPUs, let alone from different vendors

But i know that shit like that will happen at some point

I even think that real next consoles will have more GPUs, default 2 upgradeable up to 4
          Last edited by dungeon; 13 July 2016, 01:23 PM.

Comment

I love how people always ask for the most pointless gimmicks

Comment

Seconded.

It would also be cool if they could show off with an application/benchmark to compare performance between DX12 and Vulkan (although they are very similar).
              And especially compare the jitter;
              and if they do so, I wonder what metric they will use:
              will it be one out this list (see here for comparison), or will it be something else?
              (Yes, that was an attempt to get feedback on one of my posts of an abandoned thread )

Comment

Originally posted by remm View Post

I love how people always ask for the most pointless gimmicks
                How is utilizing multiple cards regardless of their vendor a "gimmick"?

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

I hope game developers does not use that as primary feature . By making some game only playable or even can't start without multi GPUs, let alone from different vendors

But i know that shit like that will happen at some point

I even think that real next consoles will have more GPUs, default 2 upgradeable up to 4
                  You misunderstand, There are many laptops with multiple GPU's from different vendors. That's the point.

Comment

I hope tarceri's extensions get accepted by the start of SIGGRAPH.

Comment

Working...
                    X