Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Has Seen 30k+ Commits So Far This Year

Phoronix: Linux Has Seen 30k+ Commits So Far This Year

Being half-way now through the year and Linux 4.7 coming later this month, I figured it would be fun to run some statistics on the Linux kernel Git repository to see how this year is stacking up compared to past years...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And the pork keeps on adding to the pig.

Comment

But is Linus still contributing? Isn't he just merging these days? Not really interesting to see stats on who's merging other people's branches or patches.

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
        And the pork keeps on adding to the pig.
        While it's mostly drivers, there's definitely a growing realization that it's impossible to audit so much code. If it was memory safe and garbage collected you could at least say it's not going to really matter... But being C, you're just playing exploit & bug roulette with each and every commit.

Still, better then windows which is just as bad, but is also closed source.

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post

While it's mostly drivers, there's definitely a growing realization that it's impossible to audit so much code. If it was memory safe and garbage collected you could at least say it's not going to really matter... But being C, you're just playing exploit & bug roulette with each and every commit.

Still, better then windows which is just as bad, but is also closed source.
          Its not just "drivers". Over the years even a downstripped kernel with only bare essentials for just booting is way, way fatter than it used to be. And yet I do not use any more "features" in the kernel. Nowdays "bare" is double to triple size over late 2.6.x and late 2.4.x.
          Yeah, I know. "They are old". But from a simple embedded point of view modern kernels don't add much you really, really need. You need a modern userspace, modern drivers. Other than that i'd be pretty happy with the bare essentials.

Comment

Working...
          X