Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CrossOver For Android Now Running On Chromebooks

Phoronix: CrossOver For Android Now Running On Chromebooks

With Google Play and Android app support hitting Chromebooks it's now possible to run Windows applications/games on Chromebooks via CrossOver For Android...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

DX11 support or GTFO.

Comment

StarCraft BroodWar on Chromebooks!

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
        DX11 support or GTFO.
        To run DX11 applications at 0.1 fps using these super powerful oversized phones? Why?

Comment

ChromeOS is starting to shape up nicely with Android app support but I'm not interested in buying a crappy, low-end Chromebook just to use it and the Pixel is overpriced. I'll just use GNU/Linux with Genymotion and Android x86 6.0 installed in VMware. I think I'll give RemixOS 2.0 a try in a VM next as that looks pretty promising.

As for DirectX 11, that's taking forever to implement in Wine / Crossover.

At least there is a new way to play DirectX 11 / modern AAA Windows-only games on Linux & Mac until support arrives in Crossover:

http://blog.liquidsky.tv/2016/07/06/...x-client-work/
          Last edited by Xaero_Vincent; 14 July 2016, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

To run DX11 applications at 0.1 fps using these super powerful oversized phones? Why?
            I'd rather they get DX11 working in general, instead of running Wine on a super powerful oversized phone. Because either way, Windows applications are going to run like arse on them. Wouldn't it be smarter to just install Ubuntu on them, and forget Android?

Comment

CodeWeavers was even able to install Steam for Windows on the Chromebooks via the CrossOver support.
              Wat? Chromebooks can now install any of the five zillion android apps and run them with 5 orders of magnitude better hardware on completely non-buggy firmware and someone talks of installing a compatibility layer for running Windows games?

Really, what about just buying another random crap lowend netbook and use that instead for "gaming".

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                Chinese tabletpcs do have both Android and win10 and you can buy keyboards for them. Much better devices than chromebooks.
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6ifx_xK8n4
                Dual booting is such a great experience /s

Comment

That awkward moment where a linux-based OS can run more Windows applications than Linux applications... (of course, that's assuming you're not running a VM of some sort).

Comment

Wait, are Android apps already supported now on ChromeOS? If so, why don't they run on other distros too, or is ChromeOS not just a Linux distro?

Comment

Working...
                    X