Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Developers Improve Mesa's Android EGL Support

Phoronix: Google Developers Improve Mesa's Android EGL Support

Google engineers working on Android have been experimenting with using Mesa on Android...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm just wondering if these improvements will help freedreno run aosp?

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
      That seems like exactly the sort of thing this would do. :-)

Comment

Most likely the focus on Intel EGL is because Google wants to use more Android apps with Chromebooks. So even if Intel itself does not work on Android x86 on their own it is still an interesting platform for others. Hopefully some needed Wifi/BT drivers for common tablets will be added to Linux directly so that these devices could use unofficial updates too.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          Most likely the focus on Intel EGL is because Google wants to use more Android apps with Chromebooks. So even if Intel itself does not work on Android x86 on their own it is still an interesting platform for others. Hopefully some needed Wifi/BT drivers for common tablets will be added to Linux directly so that these devices could use unofficial updates too.
          Considering how hostile the entire Android harware ecosystem is to open sourcing anything I doubt that the wifi and bluetooth drivers will come

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
            freedreno does already run on AOSP (although I'm not sure that all the patches are upstream yet..)

Note:  This blog post outlines upcoming changes to Google Currents for Workspace users. For information on the previous deprecation of Googl...

Comment

Originally posted by robclark View Post

freedreno does already run on AOSP (although I'm not sure that all the patches are upstream yet..)

Note:  This blog post outlines upcoming changes to Google Currents for Workspace users. For information on the previous deprecation of Googl...
              Cool, I'll check it out. Freedreno runs a gentoo install perfectly. There is an AOSP image available for my phone, but I'm positive the userspace bits for freedreno weren't built. Although, I've seen in the past instructions for how to build an upstream andriod on a gentoo userspace, so that may well be my best option.

I believe this link is a guide to building a gentoo userspace that is compatible with aosp.

Comment

Of course, reply stuck in mod que.

Thanks robclark, I'll check it out.The aosp images available for my phone don't have the appropriate userspace, so I'm thinking a gentoo userspace with an andriod build. (gentoo, just because it's what I know.)

If I read this right, I think this is a guide to build an android compatible gentoo userspace?

EDIT: Nope, that guide is for building a gentoo root on an android userspace.

EDIT:https://csidiropoulos.wordpress.com/...oid-on-gentoo/
                I think perhaps this one is a guide to get a build environment working. I'll figure it out eventually.
                Last edited by duby229; 15 July 2016, 09:29 AM.

Comment

I hope it means a Nexus device with an Intel CPU and Intel GPU.

Comment

As smartphone/tablet very unlikely. The Nexus Player used PowerVR series 6 gfx. In best case a Nexus Player 2 with 4k support. But no available Intel chip supports HEVC Main 10 via VAAPI and for HDMI 2.0 an additional chip (Alpine Ridge) was needed (could provide Thunderbold too). Intel is only used in lots of Chromebooks. Kaby Lake is delayed. Apollo Lake is the new Atom series called that could be used, sometimes referred as Broxton which was officially canceled...

In don't see Apollo Lake there:

Last edited by Kano; 15 July 2016, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X