Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Window/Menu Positioning Improvements For GTK+ On Wayland/Mir

Phoronix: Window/Menu Positioning Improvements For GTK+ On Wayland/Mir

Red Hat's Jonas Ådahl has shared work being done to the GTK+ toolkit for avoiding global window positions for tooltips/menus/popovers and instead refactor it down to GDK and allow relative positioning...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm glad that the Wayland folks have been firm on global window positioning, to avoid turning Wayland into yet another API Ghetto.

Comment

BTW: does wayland support putting a window "at the top-left corner"? I mean, I don't want to put it in a specific coordinate, but just "in the top-left corner", or in the "bottom-middle"... Is that possible?

Comment

Originally posted by rastersoft View Post
        BTW: does wayland support putting a window "at the top-left corner"? I mean, I don't want to put it in a specific coordinate, but just "in the top-left corner", or in the "bottom-middle"... Is that possible?
        That sounds like something that's up to the compositor, since it handles the windows. Don't see why it shouldn't.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
          That sounds like something that's up to the compositor, since it handles the windows. Don't see why it shouldn't.
          I'm not talking about the compositor, but about the application. I mean: does Wayland allow an application to tell the compositor, in a standard way, to put a window "at the top-left corner", or "at the bottom, centered". Just that. Not specific coordinates, but that kind of high level positioning.
          Last edited by rastersoft; 15 July 2016, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
            And in few months that kwin dude will reject all previous work and bikeshed some lame extensions and handshake protocols. Just like the idea of keeping Wayland a simple Protocol for CSD was raped.
            CSD are terrible.

Comment

I'm not talking about the compositor, but about the application. I mean: does Wayland allow an application to tell the compositor, in a standard way, to put a window "at the top-left corner", or "at the bottom, centered". Just that. Not specific coordinates, but that kind of high level positioning.
              That sounds like the window managers job. And in this case the compositor and window manager is one and the same.

Comment

Originally posted by petete View Post

CSD are terrible.
                CSD are awesome++ with cherries on top.

Comment

the intent of wayland is to not allow specific placement at any coordinates, BUT it is an extendable protocol. the idea here would be to have a SEMANTIC protocol like for example "i'm a notification window" or "i'm a taskbar window" or "i'm a global menu window" etc. etc. and THEN the compositor will make appropriate positioning and sizing decisions and let the client know. for relative positioned menus, comboboxes, tooltips etc. etc. this is similar but "i'm a menu FOR a control with geometry x, y, w x h in this parent window - place me intelligently and then let me know". that kind of hasn't been fleshed out/done yet and what the gtk guys are doing.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
                    I'm glad that the Wayland folks have been firm on global window positioning, to avoid turning Wayland into yet another API Ghetto.
                    Keep in mind a lot of the folks mentioned in the referenced blog post are Canonical people motivated by the fact that Mir will not back down on absolute coordinates, so in this respect it's safe.

Comment

Working...
                    X