Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org Server Development Continues Trending Lower

Phoronix: X.Org Server Development Continues Trending Lower

Half-way through the year, the X.Org Server has seen just over 300 commits, well down compared to a few years ago around this time where it would see about three times as many commits...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Guess most work is done on Wayland now maybe.

Still some work is needed on DRI3 and then remove DRI2. Not sure if DRI1 has been completely removed yet.
    Not sure if the old input paths and codes have been removed now that we have libinput, but input used to be a mess.
    Not sure what more cruft is left, but I hope to see X.Org get on a diet and get really slim and lean.

Comment

This is understandable. X is already 100% bug-free and bordering on perfection so there's not much work left.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
        This is understandable. X is already 100% bug-free and bordering on perfection so there's not much work left.
        Exactly.

Comment

Multi threaded input landed a while back and pretty much eliminated any issues I had with Xorg. Unfortunately libinput is taking it's sweet time providing support for it.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol
            - Xorg (X11) was slim and lean 20+ years ago.
            * coughs *

ftp://www.x.org/pub/X11R6.8.1/doc/Xprint.7.html

Comment

Originally posted by Scias View Post
              Hahah! That's kind of funny. I used to have a Commodore that only had a dot-matrix printer for user interface. But a graphical interface for printer? Seems goofy to me.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                Hahah! That's kind of funny. I used to have a Commodore that only had a dot-matrix printer for user interface. But a graphical interface for printer? Seems goofy to me.
                It's not a graphical interface for a printer, it's a plugin for X11 to control some kinds of printers using its own rendering systems to render stuff to print.

The same retardedness was done a long time ago in windows land with some other printers that could only be controlled through WIndows's own display server, but it was such a trainwreck (any update to display server would render the printer useless) that they went obsolete fast.

Comment

This is good news for everyone. The more this graph drops off, the less reason there will be for big companies to support it instead of transferring their support to Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by Geopirate View Post
                    This is good news for everyone. The more this graph drops off, the less reason there will be for big companies to support it instead of transferring their support to Wayland.
                    you made 0 sense there mate.

Comment

Working...
                    X