Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gallium3D Optimizations Published For BioShock Infinite

Phoronix: Gallium3D Optimizations Published For BioShock Infinite

Marek Olšák of AMD has been working on some Gallium3D optimizations for boosting the performance of the popular BioShock Infinite game on Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

You should probably refactor the first two paragraphs into one as they sound very repetitive.

There is also this patchset: https://lists.freedesktop.org/archiv...ly/123452.html
    The full changes he wants to make are here, but as I understand it there's still discussion about whether and how to make it properly threadsafe and whether to only enable it for bioshock or globally: https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~mareko...d-ib-gfx-fence

Comment

Very cool. This is exactly the kind of cool news that linux gamers need to hear about. Marek, you are freakin awesome! Don't stop optimizing, we love it!

Comment

EDIT: Of course reply stuck in the mod que...

This is exactly the kind of cool news linux gamers need to hear. Marek, you are freakin awesome! Don't stop optimizing, we love it!

Comment

F___ing mod que!!!

EDIT: This is the kind of cool news linux gamers need to hear about. Marek, you are freakin awesome! Don't stop optimizing, we love it!
          Last edited by duby229; 18 July 2016, 09:24 AM.

Comment

I want to see tests!

Comment

Yea, look at those optimizations for a 3 year old single-player game nobody cares about anymore!
              In a meanwhile, popular games still played today struggle to run...

Comment

Originally posted by kamild1996 View Post
                Yea, look at those optimizations for a 3 year old single-player game nobody cares about anymore!
                Well assuming this patch applies to more than just 1 game, I don't see a reason to be whining about this... Marek isn't an idiot. I don't think he'd prioritize application-specific changes any time soon.

Comment

Well, you can always use windows if you want, nobody is putting a gun on your head to use free software.

On the other hand i love RadeonSI and its progression so far, for a totally open driver is amazing and probably the most advanced yet(the hardware is way more complex and powerful than intel, so you get the idea)

Thanks a million Marek, nicholas, you AMD guys rock

Comment

a 3 year old single-player game nobody cares about anymore!
                    Get over yourself. You just marginalized the people who still like to play games that aren't within a month or two of their release. I was just playing this the other day.
                    Get a console if you want to be on the cutting edge of gaming but still use 100% open-source stuff on your PC.

Comment

Working...
                    X